Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Review of The Giver by Lois Lowry.



Synopsis:

The Giver is about Jonas, a boy living in a place where there is no colour, everything is set, jobs, who gets children, what age you get a bike or get to wear your hair up.
Jonas is a bit different from everyone else, he sees things a little differently at first, then a lot differently.
When the day comes and he will become a Twelve and find out what his job for the rest of his life is, Jonas is really excited, just like everyone else; but at the ceremony, he is skipped from the list, everyone waits to find out what will happen when it is announced... Jonas is to be the next Giver.
The Giver has the power to see differently, he is like the head of the town, what he says goes.
Jones is thrown into the real world that he has been living in, where everything bad is hidden from the townsfolk and he is finally able to see into his world, from an entirely new world.
He is trained by the old Giver, who shows him memories, teaches him to use his senses and to see colour, and the truth.

What I thought:
On the cover of my copy of The Giver an author has stated that "It will haunt you  days after you've turned the last page" and that is exactly what happened to me.
I was thrown into an entirely new kind of writing and story, a story that is amazingly written and heart wrenching at the same moment.
If you plan to read this book, make sure you'll be fully ready for it, and don't try to read for a few days after you've finished it, because it will still be with you; I think I even had a dream about it one day.

The Giver is an amazing book written by an amazing author and I am ashamed to say, I haven't read any more of her work yet.
The Giver is book one in a series (I only just found that out! How funny!), it is followed by Gathering Blue and the last book in the series is called Messenger.
And it is also rumored that a movie is being made! How cool!

Thanks for reading and let me know what you think!
Romi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! SQUEEEEE. E. E.


I reply to all comments, in case you were wondering.
Also, I've been putting Word Verification on and off and it's currently on because I turned it off on a friday and had seven spam comments on a Monday which is not good.