Thursday, January 13, 2011

A fantasticly terrific Q&A with...

You should know by now that I love keeping you in suspense, I just adore suspense!
Well, this fantastic Q&A is with YA author Steph Bowe, author of Girl Saves Boy; thank you ever so much for this Q&A Steph, I loved doing it with you and reading all your answers was great!
Ok, here the awesome Q&A is! Enjoy!

*How long did it take you to write Girl Saves Boy?
Around six months on my own, then quite a few more months of editing with an editor.

*Did you use an agent?
I did! I sent query letters to a few agents in the US once I finished writing my book and signed with one from Curtis Brown in New York.

*How long did it take to find a publisher?
Within a month of going out on submission the Australian rights sold at auction to my publisher.

*Who would you have star in a film version of Girl Saves Boy?
Oh gosh, I don't know. I'd like it as a cute little indie flick with a folky soundtrack and no budget and teenage unknown actors. None of this twenty-somethings playing teenagers in my film!

*What inspires you?
Everything! Life and films and books and music and overheard conversations and funny anecdotes. It all just mashes together in my head and crazy ideas come out.

*How long had you been writing on your blog for before your book was
accepted by Text Publishing?
I started the blog in April 2009, the book sold in November of that year.

*How excited were you at the thought of your book being in print?
Very! It's still crazy to think people I've never met are reading my words and seeing in their heads a story that started in my head!

*Do you want to be an author as your profession?
I'd love to be, but I'm being realistic and trying to figure out a 'back up' career. But writing is my passion.

*What is your  favourite part of writing?
When it's flowing really well and I have lots of ideas and I'm happy with what I'm writing and everything seems alive and magical and writing feels worthwhile.

*How are your other books coming along?
I just submitted a second book to my publisher! I've had lots of false starts and I'm working on a few things at once, but it's all going quite all right.




*What would you say to any aspiring writers?
Go for it. Write, write lots, get feedback, edit, submit your work. You have nothing to lose, and you have worthwhile things to say. Your writing is important, is significant. Write, write, write and don't let self-doubt or the naysayers dissuade you - if you want to be a great writer, you absolutely can. Just go for it.

*What is one of the most important things in life to you?
Family.

*Are you in contact with lots of other young authors?
Yes! And they're all wonderful and supportive and it's a great, welcoming community both online and off.

*What is your goal for Girl Saves Boy now?
That as many people read it and enjoy it and get something positive out of it as possible.

*Who can you relate to most in your novel?
I think there's a little bit of me in all of them, and I can relate a bit to each of them... I think I relate to Little Al most, he's the most like me.

*Has anyone walked up to you in the street and asked for an autograph or
photo?
No, but that would be funny!

*What is the most amazing thing that has happened to you since you started
writing?
Oh wow, it's all brilliant. I can't pick a single thing. Meeting so many amazing writers, and speaking to big groups of kids (a big deal for me! I'm very shy), and hearing from readers how my book affected them. It's amazing, and I'm so honoured to have been able to do all the things I've done. Let's hope there's more adventures in store!



I hope you all loved that as much as I did asking the questions for it!
Love,
Romi.
P.S. Don't stop writing!

2 comments:

  1. Great interview, Romi! :)

    Also, I've given you the Stylish Blogger Award. Here's the link to it on my blog: http://www.hillsandcorkscrews.com/2011/01/blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is such a good interview.
    thanks romi.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x