Thursday, March 3, 2011

Dear Bloggity Oggity people, for your eyes only here is a Q&A with...

The lovely Sarah Littman! Author of books such as upcoming "Want to go Private", "Life, After" , "Confessions of a closet catholic" and "Purge"! Thank you soooooo much for the Q&A Sarah, it was a lot of fun!
Here it is!


*What is your favourite thing about being a writer?

There are so many things I love about being a writer it's hard to choose. I would say the top two are: 1) that with each book I get to explore a whole new world, and it means that I'm constantly learning and growing, which is very important to me and 2)when I get a letter or email from someone who has read my work and says that it has resonated with them. 



*Did you always want to write as a profession?

From high school onwards I wanted to write. When I was really little, I wanted to be an airline stewardess, which I find hilarious now, because I hate being in an airplane!



*How many books have you written?

I've written and completed 5 books. One will never, ever see the light of day. I also have several half or quarter written books lying around. 



*What are your favourite books?

This is always the hardest question for me to answer, because I've read so many books and I've had so many favorite books at different times of my life. 

Growing up, I loved the Secret Garden and A Little Princess, but Frances Hodgson Burnett, and I also devoured the historical novels of Jean Plaidy. One of my recent favorites is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I'm so excited because the town I live in chose it as a town-wide read, and on March 28th Markus Zusak is going to be speaking at our local library! *jumps up and down with excitement!!!!*



*What was your first job?

My first ever job was babysitting my next door neighbors. 

My first job in high school was working at Friendly's, the ice cream store chain. We had to wear these hideous polyester uniforms that contained not a single natural fiber and made you sweat like crazy, and because I'm, er, height-disadvantaged, I'd come home up to my neck in ice cream practically. 



*Did you use an agent?

I received my first book offer before I had an agent, but as soon as I called author Paula Danziger, in whose workshop I'd come up with the idea for the book, to tell her I'd sold it, she said, "You need an agent!" She performed matchmaking services between my agent, Jodi Reamer and me. 



*How long did it take you to write your first book?  

It took me about eleven months to write and revise my first book, CONFESSIONS OF A CLOSET CATHOLIC. 


*What inspires you?

Life. Seriously, I know it sounds cliche, but I never know what is going to inspire me, and I think as an author it's so important to be open, attentive and present to what is going on around you, because you never know who or what will trigger that next idea.


*What tips can you give to aspiring writers?

Read a lot and then write, write, and write some more. Revise. Learn to love revision. Revision is your friend. And learn from rejection, even though it's depressing and makes you want to curl up in a ball and cry and eat chocolate*. *You are allowed to do these things - just make sure you only do it for a short period (set a timer) and then pick yourself up, learn from it, and get back to writing. 



*What are your favourite pastimes?

I love reading, cooking, listening to live music, dancing (although not around my teenage kids, who think I'm mortifying) playing tennis, kickboxing, walking my dogs, and slobbing on the sofa in my PJ's watching movies.

*How many more books do you plan to write?  

As many as I possibly can. It's extremely frightening for me right now, because my beloved father is suffering from Alzheimer's Disease, which hit him in his 70's and his mother in her 70's, and I think...if that happens to me, I've only got about 22 more years left to write, so I'd better write REALLY fast because I got a late start and I have SO many more books in me.




*Who is your all time favourite book character?

Oh, that's another hard one!  Maybe Dobby, from Harry Potter?  I <3 Dobby!!


Thank you again Sarah! I can't wait to read Want to go Private when it comes out (August this year!)

Happy reading,
Romi.xxx

1 comment:

  1. Fantastical interview!

    Keep up the good work.

    ~Broede

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x