Friday, April 15, 2011

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne review...


What I thought:

When I read the boy in the Striped pyjamas I don't think I was as affected by it as I would be now, and as I was by the film.
It is an amazing book, very emotional and really, the sort of book you almost wish hadn't been written, because of the themes and what it makes you feel and think.
It is a beautifully heart wrenching work of writing, and truly is one of the saddest books I know of.
The film is terrible, in it's feel, performances and how well it followed the storyline, it is amazing, brilliantly acted and beautifully thought out.
It is the closest I've gotten to crying while watching a movie, I was so glad of the lights being out, but when I looked around, I saw that I wasn't alone.
I've never cried in a movie, I've got very lightly damp shiny eyes.
But never has a tear rolled down my cheek when watching a movie.
That was absolutely the closest; my eyes were filled to overflowing, but they didn't.
Not Quite.
It is almost a nesscity, to read that book,  and see that movie.
But beware.
They are heart breaking.
And you won't feel the same afterwards.

Romi.x

6 comments:

  1. this is one of the few books-made-into-movies, where i actually prefer the movie, which is rare. it's a clever idea, with sweet characters, and i like how it was written with a fable-like feel, but i didn't think it was particularlly well written. the movie was amazing. i cried, and i don't always cry in movies or book. i much prefered the movie ending.
    great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about to wite a book review on this as i've just finished watching the film, after reading the book. I was serching for a suitable picture and found your blog - how randomly coincidental! Happy reading and writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was sobbing by the time the movie ended.
    it was an absolutely horrific, and horribly perfect for such a story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous- It's such a powerful book, I agree and the movie was just as much so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realy like the book I haven't seen the movie yet, but can't wait to watch it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's stunning- I actually liked the movie more than the book, because it was so well done and really just perfect and terribly sad. It was a very up front sadness that you had to face and it ws really just AMAZING. I must watch it again soon.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x