Monday, July 25, 2011

Guess who answered a few questions for me??? GUESS!

I haven't done a Q&A for such a long time, but this totally makes up for it, in every posible space of posibilitys! YAY!
Well, the wholly awesome and amazing Coral Tulloch, who co-wrote One Small Island, which I review a few days ago! Linky ness!

Thank you to Coral so much for answering my questions and also Tina for being awesome and helping me!

Enjoy!



When did you decide to become a writer?
I didn't decide.  Always loved making up stories, but when I started a syndicated newspaper page for children, I had the freedom to research, write and draw anything I wanted to.  I learnt a great deal from this, but mainly from reading other writers and wanting to write as if I was just telling a tale.

What are you currently reading?
I always have a lot of books on the go.  I have a very old picture dictionary Volume 2, C to G, I See All that gives me hours of pleasure, along with Edward Duyker's Dictionary of Sea Quotations.  I'm also reading Anthony Eaton's Into White Silence, J.R.R. Tolkien's Letters From Father Christmas, an autobiography my mother wrote and Stephanie Alexander's Kitchen Garden Companion that my daughter just gave me.  Different books for different parts of the day.

What to you is the essence of a grand book?
A book that has a voice that speaks to me, either written or visual.

Why do you write?
I've always loved keeping journals and noting down the things that take my fancy.  To me, some things need to be written about, some things can only be explained in the drawn line.

Did you always want to be an author?
No.  Just always loved stories and storytellers.

Do you have a favourite book?
Many, many favourites but I always carry around Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities.

What inspires you?
Lots of things, there's so much in life and what we can learn from others that is constantly surprising and inspirational.

Do you have a favourite -writing or illustrating?
I suppose if you saw some of my journals you would see that it is usually 50/50 writing and drawing.  But I am primarily a drawer, not a painter...and I have a great love of expressive line, so I suppose I should answer this with making marks is my favourite method of storytelling.

What tips can you give to upcoming writers?
I think the answer is to trust your own voice....listen to others and watch the world.  Be open to new thoughts and experiences and express yourself honestly.   

Where is your favourite place to write?
Often if I am away from home, away from the everyday, I find the inspiration to write new ideas.  But at home, my studio is always there...and in front of the fire in the kitchen isn't bad either.



Loveness from me,
Romi.x

2 comments:

  1. Hello Romi

    I am currently preparing a series of lessons for students, using One Small Island and Cat on the Island, by Gary Crew. I noticed your comments on some of the books you did not like. It's so interesting. I have had the same experience, only to return to a book, and because I was different, life was different or my background knowledge had increased, and found that I loved it. Have you read "I Am David' or 'The Cay' or 'Once', 'Then' and 'Now'. I have read these to students in my class and they have become favourites, even with individuals, who up til then, had not loved reading. There are sooooo many great books to choose from. Good luck in your ventures with writing. I am sure we will hear of you in the future. You are so passionate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Thanks so much for the comment- that's all so awesome, it sounds teriffic!
    No, I've not read any of these books, but will absolutely look into them!
    Thank you very much!
    Romi.x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x