Thursday, September 1, 2011

Below Stairs by Margaret Powell (period setting! YES!) review...



Thank you to Macmillan for this review copy!


What I thought:
I'm pretty much in love with period novels, and I think of the 1920's as a period setting, so I am and was in love with this book before I even started reading it.
Buut that's not to say that I couldn't have been disappointed, if it wasn't my sort of book I wouldn't have made myself enjoy it just because of the era, but as you can probably tell from the look on my face in the above picture, I enjoyed it.
A lot.
I adored the witty anddescriptive way that it was written, making it seem as if I lived in that time too, was a kitchen maid beside Margaret, it was amazing!
I was shocked at the awful people, servents and employers alike, and amazed by the way that the staff all drooled over anyone of the male circula, and it was always funny when she said "But now they'd just say shove off, we'd never have risked that back then, men being in short supply" ect.
And on the front of the book is a quote by Eileen Atkins and it says "Anyone who enjoyed Downton Abbey or Upstairs Downstairs will relish this feisty memoir" and I'm watching DA at the moment, and it's just simply and brilliantly, True.


Keep reading those period Drama's,
Romi.x

1 comment:

  1. Great review, and it sounds like a lovely book! I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction but I like novels that are set in certain time periods, like Europe in the 1700s. I really loved The Red Necklace and I, Coriander by Sally Gardner, and I might review them on my blog sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x