Saturday, December 31, 2011

Best Books of 2011.

I'm yet to tally up just how many books I've read this year, but I feel as if I've read more than I ever have before, which is one of the lovliest feelings I know.
Some were gobsmackingly beautiful, some were incredible, some were magical, some were sad, some were morbid and some were downright awful. Which is never nice in a book.
And with a hot Australian Summer approaching, I'm sure a few of you haven't got a clue what your set to read.
Here are my top 25 books of 2011! Enjoy!

1. My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell.
BEST BOOK OF ALL TIME IN MY BOOKS!!! I can't believe how... inspiring it is- it makes me question myself, it makes me want to do things I never otherwise would have become so interested in.


So beautiful. So glorious. So magic filled. So full of everything one could wish for- love, hope, pain and loss.


Oh my gosh. Unsurpassable in it's imagination, fantastical world and beauty. I cannot utter more on this lovely, undefyable book.


Imagination will go anywhere in this book.



My first YA dystopian and the book that got me onto my favourite book theme ever.
Plus it is amazingly beautiful in it's origonality.



6.Sunshine by Norma Klein.
It is heartrendering, it is so so sad and it has a need to be read.



I just clicked with this one- it is so interesting and unusual- I loved it loved it loved it.



Dystopian. Amazing. Disastorous. Wonderful.



Dystopian. Disastors in out world. Incredible. Unlike anything else.



It will try you and make you feel more than ever before.


Dystopian of sorts. (Though I didn't think that when I read it, strangely.) Very different from other books I have read. Very strange. Very brilliant.


You can connect with the characters, and although it isn't a new book, it is so amazingly readable and loveable- no wonder it's a classic.


Amazingly adventurous and a very very fun, paced terrifically, read.




Retelling of a classic and so alike the classic (not that I've read it, as such, but I can just tell. believe me, I can tell.) that it is itself. If that makes any sense whatsoever. It's so alike, but at the very same moment, it couldn't be more different. 


As it is rightly called- Australian Crime Fiction at it's best.



16.Garden of the Gods by Gerald Durrell.
We meet Mother, Roger, Spiro, Theo, Larry, Margo, Leslie and Gerry all over again. Need more push?



17.Below Stairs by Margaret Powell.
I'm a period Drama setting queen. I'm obsessed. (It is a good thing to be obsessed about.)




I officially met Jeeves and Wooster. It was so worth it.




Special Mentions go to-
One small Island by Alison Lester and Coral Tulloch.
For being so inspiring to me.

The Invention of Hugo Caberet by Brian Selznick.
A re-read and ever so amazing, as usual.

To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper
For making my sister happy that I read it, for having a thrilling ending and for being thrilling all over.

The Giver by Lois Lowry.
Re-reading and my first children's dystopian.

Neversink by Barry Wolverton.
I got to meet a very nice and wordy Walrus. What else can you ask?

Otto and the Flying Twins by Charlotte Haptie.
Re-reading. For making me believe in magic all over again.

City of Lies by Lian Tanner.
For inspiring me and for making my mind come to life.

Reckless by Cornelia Funke.
A re-reading. For showing me the light and dark in fairytales.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
For making me feel gloriously well read.

Priceless by Bradley Trevor Grieve.
For inspiring me and forcing me to chose what is right for my life.


Yours truly,
Romi.x

2 comments:

  1. If I made a list of best books of 2011. Forgotten would be on! I loved that book. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god! I Capture the Castle!!!! Best. Book. EVER! I loved that one. It's a classic and it's been around a while but who cares? And that cover. I want it! And Jane was fabulous. I was surprised by how much I loved it.

    ♥ Trish
    Just a YA Girl

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x