Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I recently conducted a Q&A with a very amazing author...


The very lovely and inspiring Cat Patrick, author of Forgotten which I reviewed and which was also in the top ten for my favourite books of 2011, and basically all time. (see the list here.)  did me the great honour of answering some questions for me! I admire Cat greatly and I can assure you, to not read Forgotten is a very bad thing.
And she's also got a new book coming soon, Revived. Be sure to get it!
Now, for the questions and answers...

*When did you decide you wanted to be an author?
When I was seven...or younger. Truly, I've been making up stories for as long as I can remember.
*What was your first job?
My VERY first? Probably babysitting. My first real-world professional type job after college was in public relations; I worked at an agency in Boston.
*Was Forgotten your first go at writing a novel?
No, I wrote a (completely awful) novel about two years before I wrote FORGOTTEN. It will never see the light of day, but it was a good exercise for me. It taught me that I could actually finish a whole novel...I just needed the right idea.
*Did you think of it one day being published as you wrote?
Yes, with FORGOTTEN, I did. I've always just sort of thought that publishing a book would happen...I didn't know when or how but it was a dream that I just believed would come true. Then when I got the idea for FORGOTTEN, I really felt like, "This is it. This is the one." I wrote the first draft in a little over two months, feeling every day like I was working toward publication.
*What tops can you give to aspiring writers?
Well, I think it's really important to set aside writing time every day, because if you just think of it like a hobby that will fit in occasionally, that book's never going to get written. :) What works for me is to just write--no outlining. I allow myself to write whatever feels like jumping onto the page in that moment; editing is for later. And the best advice I've gotten so far is that if you're stuck, walk away for a while. I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck on an ending or something, walked away for two months, then just known immediately how to fix it.
*In a movie version of Forgotten (one that will soon be coming!) who would you imagine, without prior knowing, would star?
I can't go back and pick a new London because I think Hailee Steinfeld is perfect. In fact, after we watched True Grit, before the whole FORGOTTEN movie business happened, I told my husband that I wanted her to play London. I got my wish! As for Luke and everyone else, I think I'll leave that job up to the casting director.


Forgotten is currently published and Revived is coming later this year! Watch out for the film of Forgotten, which will also be about in a little while...

Thank you so much for answering my questions Cat!
Keep inspired,
Romi.x

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the opportunity, Romi! Best, Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun and informative interview! I enjoyed reading about your writing journey for FORGOTTEN, and loved your tip about taking the time to walk away for a little while if you get stuck.

    Thanks so much for answering questions, Cat, and thanks for hosting, Romi!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x