Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Fault in our Stars by John Green, review...

Title- The Fault in our Stars.
Author- John Green.
Publish Date-11th January 2012.
Publisher- Penguin.

Now for the review...

Synopsis:
When Hazel Lancaster turns sixteen her mother decides that she is depressed. The fact that she had a form of cancer that can't be treated, but only prolonged, obviously isn't the reason that Hazel thinks of death a lot, and so she is forced to go to a Cancer Support Group- it is not something Hazel enjoys and the day she least wants to go, but is made to, she meets a boy who is quite possibly going to change her life.
Augustus Waters is the boy with the life changing possibility and he is unlike anyone she's ever met- he is different and life suddenly seems a lot less bleak and pre-written with him around...

Thank you to Penguin for this review copy!

What I thought:
I was a touch unsure wether I would like The Fault in our Stars, because I'd attempted to read two of John Green's other books and hadn't liked them at all, so I entered the pages with a slight trepidation- I was... astounded.
I was thrilled.
I was, and am, incurably in love with this book!
The characters, mainly Hazel and Augustus, are amazingly well written, literate and both were filled with book quoting genius.
They weren't in any way "run of the mill" characters or the least bit like any other people I've met in books.
They were truly unique, ust like this story.
Now the story is easily and acurately, in my mind, described in the five words on the back cover-
Insightful. (Absolutely!)
Bold. (Too true)
Irreverent. (Ah- YES!)
And RAW. (Needless to say it is this too.)

This is definitely a book to read at all times- it is heartbreaking and powerful, funny and touching.
I adored it.

Romi.x

3 comments:

  1. i'll deffinetly be picking this up now. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! I own this book but haven't had a chance to read it yet! I need to pick this one up next.

    Nerd Girls at Books to the Sky

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the comment :)
    i think you'd really like wonderstruck.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! SQUEEEEE. E. E.


I reply to all comments, in case you were wondering.
Also, I've been putting Word Verification on and off and it's currently on because I turned it off on a friday and had seven spam comments on a Monday which is not good.