Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Hero for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi review...


Title- A Hero for WondLa.
Author- Tony DiTerlizzi.
Publish date- July 2012.
Publisher- Simon and Schuster.
RRP: $26.99 AUS.

*May contain spoilers for those who have not read A Search for WondLa.*


Review...

What I thought:
It feels like such a long time since I read The Search for WondLa- I knew virtually nothing about it when I got it, and I loved it dearly. It popped up in a few of my earliest posts and I hold it as one of my most highly recommended books... it has everything- adventure, amazing characters, original and captivating storyline... and beautiful illustrations. So I have been dearly eager to get my hands on a copy of A Hero for WondLa, and I was lucky enough to be able to get sent one!

A Hero for WondLa is part two of Eva Nine's journey- it is suitable for any age and I find it wholly captivating- I didn't like Eva so much, in the first part of the book... maybe in the first third, because she changed herself to fit in quite a bit and I didn't like the way she did it, but for the other two thirds I loved her... she really is a remarkable character and even with her changes I once more grew very fond of her.

One thing in particular that I loved about A Hero was that it started immediately after The Search finished, which doesn't happen very often. You could virtually close one book and open the next, which I really liked.

I found it really interesting reading about some of the things Eva went through within herself, in particular- she faced quite a few miniature journeys, to find herself and accept being different, which I thought was excellent- she started off, in book 1, as being quite a childish character, but she grew a lot in the first book... again, she was still a child, only turning thirteen in this book, yet by the end of A Hero she, I feel, has really gone through changes that let her accept herself... she grows immensely and I really am keen to see what happens in book three.

As with all the books I have read by Tony DiTerlizzi (I was a Spiderwick girl, but I also read a few of his picture books) the illustrations were incredible. They set the scene, they show things that I wouldn't have been able to imagine without them, and they add so much to the story... each and every one is like a story in itself.

This would be a four point five book for me, and I can't wait for book three!



Thank you to Simon and Schuster for this review copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x