Sunday, July 22, 2012

Insurgent by Veronica Roth review...


Title- Insurgent. (Divergent #2)
Author- Veronica Roth.
Publish date- May 2012.
Publisher- Harper Collins.


*May contain spoilers for those who have not read Divergent.*



What I thought:
I was lucky. I only read Divergent this year, so I didn't have the massive wait that some people did, which was a relief, because of how much Divergent wowed me and how cliffhangery the ending was. Yet the wait did come and feel it I did, so when I started to see the buzz of reviewers reviewing away, I started to feel very excited. When my copy arrived I was in the middle of another book and almost paused half-way through it, but decided to hang on a few days more. And then I started.
Immediately I was swept into the story- the very first words captivated me and held me, unwilling to let me go. And so it was for the entire book- I couldn't look away, I couldn't not keep reading. Yet that's not to say I enjoyed it all- about fifty pages through Tris almost did something that I was shocked by... she didn't, but the fact that she almost went too far made me sad. Because if she had done it, she would have regretted it, the way she did it, and I regretted her even considering it.

I really enjoyed Insurgent, but I didn't like it nearly as much as Divergent- I think with everything Insurgent had to live up to for me personally it was made incredibly hard to be as good as Divergent... a lot of the choices Tris made, throughout the story, were hard to see the meaning behind; I understood and connected to her character really well in the first book, but she was a lot harder to relate to in this, and I felt she risked so much that she held close to her far too often.

The relationship between Tris and Tobias wasn't nearly as favourable for me, in this book- they argue a lot and tend to be quite prickily, all the while the tension, the wanting between the two is growing... they risk a lot and I was kept on my toes, hoping they wouldn't fall out, because I love them both so much.

The last 150 pages were tense for me- I only ever (ocassionally) look at the endings of books that I don't like, if I thought it was an interesting premise but I didn't like it, I never do for books that I'm reading and enjoying ect. but with Insurgent I really, really wanted to know how things panned out, and I think it would have made it a much more enjoyable experiance for me, because I got quite anxious about how everything was going to work out, and I was really afraid that I wasn't going to like it and that I was going to be disappointed.
I wasn't. I wasn't disappointed in the ending at all, though parts of the book... parts did disappoint me- I would be lying to say that I loved it entirely... it had it's faults, and it's faults weren't few for me. Yet I love it... the scenes that really touched me didn't make up for those that didn't satify me, but they did make me glad that I had been drawn into this world of Veronica Roth's making.

Three stars.


Thank you to Harper Collins for this review copy!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x