Sunday, August 5, 2012

Distopia.


I think I've made it pretty clear that I like Dystopian novels. I love them. Capatalize that. I LOVE THEM. I don't know what it is that makes my pulse quicken and my eyes widen upon hearing/reading/finishing/anything to do with a dystopia, I think it has something to do with the fact that, in a way, I feel I am reading about our future lives- we have no idea what will happen a hundred, two hundred years from now, so there's a kind of magic about that that draws me to it... also the fact that it makes me all the more grateful for the life I'm living that isn't ruled by a Government that sends me and twenty three other teenagers into an arena to fight to the death in pennance for uprising... but lately I have found myself getting the feeling that people have forgotten how to do it right. Or at least do it in a way that I find both enjoyable and thrilling. And I feel that that is what happens when a certain genre becomes the BIG THING.
It's happened hundreds of times and will continue to happen hundred of times more- it like clothes, something becomes popular and it gets done over and over and over again until the remanints aren't really anything alike the beginning article, until it's been too overdone to appreciate. It happened with Vampires. Werewolves. Presumably Wizards. And is now happening with Distopians.
Now I'm not saying that Struck wasn't origonal, but the whole point is that I didn't feel that connection with it as I have felt with many other books in the genre, preceeded by the slow, terrifying knowledge that it, the genre, has become too popular... so many books have become half hearted attempts at creating something origonal, vying for the million dollar spot, that the ones that truly matter get lost. And I hate that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x