Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The terrible thing that happened to Barnaby Brocket by John Boyne...


Title- The Terrible thing that happened to Barnaby Brocket.
Author- John Boyne.
Publish date- August 2012.
Publisher- Random House.


Review...

Thank you to Random House for this review copy!


What I thought:
I have to start this review off by saying four words that end with at least five exclaimations-

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!

My first, and before reading this only, John Boyne book was The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas- I tried to read Noah Barleywater runs away a few years after, but I found it awkward to get into and ended up deciding not to continue with it- that fact made me a little bit worried that I wouldn't like Barnaby Brocket, but those worries were shot to pieces upon reading the first one, two, three pages. I was immediately captivated by the writing that had, many years ago, captivated me and held me as I read the story of two very different boys. This story is completely different from that one, but it is just as thrilling a read, leaves just as important a message, though in both a very different and a similar way. John Boyne is able to weave words to do his bidding in a way few authors are able to, he is able to hint at things subtly and then leave the reader to guess what the meaning of it was, and those subtlies, those touches, make this a story beyond compare.

There was not one thing I disliked about this story- the whole thing was mysterious and also a learning experiance in acceptance and being yourself, and for all that, it will forever stay with me.

The story of Barnaby Brocket is shocking and warming, his adventures across the world, meeting wonderous people, learning their stories of acceptance and trouble, the way they made their ways, is beautiful, and I saw many things that I wouldn't have seen if I had read this at a younger age, things that, if I had read this as an eleven year old and then again as a sixteen year old, I would have probably have been shocked by but then entranced by- I found the way Mr. Boyne managed to smuggle these things into his novel beautiful.

I commend anyone who writes such beautiful works of art, and know only that this will forever be a treasured posession that I will gladly share with my family so they can find the joy in this tale as I have done.


1 comment:

  1. This sounds fabulous (I was hooked just by the title)! Thanks for posting about it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x