Thursday, October 25, 2012

Crewel by Gennifer Albin.

Title- Crewel.
Author- Gennifer Albin.
Publish date- 
Publisher- Allen and Unwin.



Thank you to Allen and Unwin for this review copy!

What I thought:
I hadn't been too keen to read many more dystopian books for a while when I received this copy in the post- it was an exception though, because I had heard about it and wanted to read it long before I choose to have a break from the genre, and I'm so glad that is the way things went.
Crewel isn't just another run of the mill dystopian novel like so many right now are- it is a work of art, beautiful, emotional and intense.


I found it interesting and really liked the fact that almost (?) all the names in Crewel are spelt differently from how they're spelt now, in example-
Benn instead of Ben,
Amie instead of Amy,
Lewys instead of Lewis,
And Crewel instead of Cruel (probably my least favourite of the bunch)-

all gave the feel of an alternate reality, and I really liked it.

At times I was surprised by the abrupt end of a scene, particularly emotional (and usually of the romantic type) scenes- everything would be going really smoothly, and then BAM! it's over and I was left wondering if I skipped a page or two by accident- that happened two or three times and was something I definitely didn't like.

I'm not fond of the Australian cover- I like the US one much more, though neither do I love... at times I think this one shows Adelice wonderfully, but the thing about both of them is that I think Crewel should have a cover without a person on it... I think I would like it better if it had a cover just with the colourful lines found on the US cover...


I really liked how the novel played out- it could certainly have been a single book, I'm not sure how I feel about there being two more books, and I can't really see how much more of a story there is to tell, especially over two books, but I look forward to reading book 2 and seeing!
Four stars!

Romi.x

6 comments:

  1. I just read this one too - I'm posting my review sometime next week!
    I completely agree with you on the abrupt end-scene thing. I thought it really broke up the flow of the story and then it would take me a moment to get back into it again. I loved the descriptions of the weaving - but I'm slightly obsessed with anything to do with light and colour. Do you really think it could have been just one book - with the revelations about the reality of the world at the end? I think Adelice is going to need to sort out how the two worlds overlap. That sounds so vague, but I don't want to be spoilery, for those who haven't read it yet. Ugh, do you know how I mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I can't wait to see what you thought of it more in depth in your review!
      Yeah, I thought the ending was strange, enjoyable but unexpected- it makes it sound like 'unexpected' is a bad thing, but it felt a little too resolved, especially for a trilogy. But it was super enjoyable!
      I totally know what you mean- I think the first book could have been longer, maybe 100-200 pages longer and it could have resolved the series in two parts, because I really don't see how so much more is able to happen in another two books, but I will be interested to see what happens there. You're right though, and I guess she's going to have to make some relationship choices, too.

      Thanks so much for commenting! x.

      Delete
  2. my friend gave an arc of this the other week so i must read it soon! the spellings certainly are interesting, i always wondered that about dystopias. i also like that crewel is a term in embroidery. great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well dystopia has become my favourite genre in YA, but I decided to take a step away from it because I didn't like how the quality of so many dystopia's had dropped and they seemed like the same basic storyline being repeated, but I figured that I already had Crewel on my to-reads list before I made that decision (a decision that has since faded due to hearing about heaps of awesome sounding new books!) and I'm really glad that I choose to read it, because it was very enjoyable and easy and I just really enjoyed the storyline. It was simply an easy and relaxing read.
      Thanks for stopping by! x.

      Delete
  3. Ooooh, Romi, I'm glad you liked. I'm curious about this one, but I just haven't felt compelled to actually read it. Mmmm... especially where you feel it could have done with just the one book... hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very good, very easy going and morish, and yet I'm not sure how there can be anothe TWO books in the series, because with another 100-200 pages I could have seen it ending clearly, so I guess Ms. Albin has some big ideas to spring on readers of the next two books! It's not one that you have to go really in depth to read, it's fun and I would definitely recommend it as an off time read.
      Thank you for coming! x.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x