Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Top Ten "Older" Books I don't want to be forgotten.


Top ten tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish.


1. My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell-
This is a book that really changed my life and became an immediate favourite as soon as I began reading it- by the end it was my all time favourite and, over a year later, it hasn't been swayed from that position; this is a biography of sorts, about the authors childhood growing up in Corfu, Greece, and it is an immensely funny and uplifting book.

2. The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins-
The Hunger Games contains many truly amazing lessons about the way we live out lives, and I hope people don't forget them because to forget what can come from Power in the wrong hands would be a terrible, terrible thing.

3. The Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling-
I don't know what I can say about The Harry Potter books and why I don't want people to forget them other than this-
Harry Potter is a boy who grew up in awful circumstances and he rose above them and into an even more incredible young man; he and his friends are a symbol to a way of life. And no one should ever let themselves, or anyone else, forget Luna Lovegood.

4. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak-
Is definitely one of my favourit books- it's an astonishing novel that is both heartbreaking and amusing- it is a very powerful book and is the only one I've read in which death is really placed in a position of... kindness? The way he is painted is one which I like very much and vow now, before you all, to never forget.

5. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith-
From the amazing, captivating storyline to the heroine, Cassandra, this novel is superb; it puts desire and love in hopeless and passionate perspective, the perspective of someone who watches the person she desperately loves fall for another.


6. Howls Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones-
Just a few words- Sophie, Calcifer, a Moving Castle and Howl. Howl is a big part of why this book must never go out of print. Once you know him I'm certain you'll agree.


7. The Giver by Lois Lowry-
A beautiful novel about a twisted future where the most important things have become redundant, have been taken from the lives of everybody but The Giver. Heartwrenching and stunning in every word.


8. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee-
Many things ought not be forgotten and the plight of Atticus Finch, possibly the best fictional father ever, is one of those things. And oh, is it high up on that list.


9. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen-
Do you think it would ever be wise to forget the great, and very honest, love that comes about in this book. Also it would be a very great pain for any person to not know of Fitzwiliam Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet, because they are extraordinary and oughtn't ever be forgotten.


10. Horseradish: Bitter Truths you Can't Avoid by Lemony Snicket-
Any truth for any situation can be found in this book, and most of them will brighten the readers day. The world would be a scary place without this book.


(Also- 11. Sunshine by Norma Klein-
One of the most beautiful and awfully sad stories I have ever read, made all the fiercer by the fact that it is a true story;

 and 12. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green-
An astonishing, beautiful, quote worthy sucker punch of a book about a very wonderful/crazily amazing girl and an extremely and almightily legend of a boy, besides other things.)

7 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for stopping by :)
    Your list contains a few of my all time favorites as well (The Hunger Games, TFiOS, Harry Potter), and I can't believe I still haven't read the Giver yet. Heard amazing things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing, but you have one of my more obscure titles on my list (at least here in the US) on your list!

    Here's my Ten "Older" Books I Hope You Won't Forget. I hope you will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harry Potter, The book thief, THG; agree.
    The fault in our stars; high on my to be read pile :)

    Great list!
    My TTT @thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Capture the Castle looks good. I need to get that! The Vintage cover is beautiful too.
    And Howls Moving Castle was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to sit and pet The Book Thief. It's such a lovely book. And I've GOT to read some Diana Wynne Jones, stat.

    My TTT: http://shelversanon.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-10-tuesday-top-ten-older-books-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh I have I Capture the Castle + The Book Thief to read soon! The first book also sounds familiar & very interesting. Fantastic list, Romi!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x