Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Top ten tuesday (3) Top ten favourite contempory YA authors.



Top Ten Favourite Contempory YA authors.

1. John Green-
So far I've only read TFiOS and Looking for Alaska, both of which I adored- now I'm waiting eagerly to read Paper Towns, Abundance, Will Grayson ect. they've all got such wonderful storylines and can fairly well be described by saying WOW.

2. James Dashner-
I am absolutely in love with his Maze Runner series, though I am yet to read the prequel or the final book (waiting, waiting) and I'm waiting to finish that before trying his 13th Reality series.

3. Lemony Snicket/Daniel Handler-
I absolutely loved Why We Broke Up when I read it earlier in the year and am currently listening to the ASoUE series on audio (funnily, I love them so much more with Tim Curry's dramatisation.) His novels are so unique, so origonal and so addictive.

4. China Mieville-
His novel Un Lun Dun is absolutely timeless; it's a novel with a surprising heroine who is brilliant and wholly inspiring, a novel about hope and fighting for what is right, with all sorts of amazing twists and turns that kept me right on the edge of all sanity as I read. It is, and always will be, one of my top books.

5. Natsumi Ando and Miyuki Kobayashi-
The creators of my first manga love series! (I'm looking for more to read, trying to find a series to get into, if you've got suggestions) Kitchen Princess was both lighthearted and serious, it delt with heartbreak and death and believing in yourself and in life, and generally it is just a really wonderful series that I both wish didn't have to end and am thrilled at the note it did. 

6. Anna Sheehan-
I won a copy of her debut novel A Long Long Sleep earlier in the year and just found it unputdownable- it's so engaging and simple yet unique, based on a very old fairytale it's like a story about a story that is incredibly wonderful and beautiful.

7. John Boyne-
I've read two of his novels and have come to the conclusion that he isn't a class-able author- you know, some authors write specifically for children or for adults or for young adults, but some authors just write and their work can't really be put into one of those genre/age group boxes. He writes in a way that is beautiful and epic and desperately moving, he can transition from writing about happiness to being lost with yourself within a novel in such a beautiful way that make him timeless.

8. Leanne Hall-
She's a fantastic author who writes a wonderous series about two incredible spirits who are absolutely different in so many fundamental ways, but are also alike- they're both a little (?) lost and in order to let themselves be themselves, they have to find each other. I just love her dreamy, thought-provoking writing.

9.?
I'm using Nine and Ten as suggestion boxes for you- if you feel like it, please tell me your favourite author+book from that author. I would love to find some more favourites!
10.?


(I was wondering if Suzanne Collins, J.K. Rowling and Diana Wynne Jones count as contempoary YA authors, they're obviously in this list if they do, but I decided I would stick with some other names as those three ladies are basically the top of all my lists!)

Romi.x

22 comments:

  1. Hehe. John Green's a definite favorite :D Great list!

    Here's my Top 10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know- in a way I wish I had started reading his work earlier, though I'm not sure I would ahve been ready for it, but also because I wish I had been exposed to vlogbrothers a few years ago, but I've only become a fan this year and I've got a lot of catching up to do! (:
      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. I listed contemp YA too! I badly need to read John Green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by how hard it was to choose between my favourite authors, decide that these ones or those ones weren't, technically, contempory and then find I only had 8! Definitely get onto reading John Green, his work is stunning!

      Delete
  3. It's funny how we both picked contemporary and have totally different lists xD I like yours and John Green will get another chance with me.
    For 9 and 10 for sure Melina Marchetta. You have to be patient with Jellicoe Road but it'll pay off and and maybe Simone Elkeles.
    Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are quite different lists- I've read/tried to read a few of the authors on yours but they're like John Green for you and I couldn't get into them.

      Thank you fpr those recommendations- I'll go and have a look at those authors work, STAT.

      (:

      Delete
  4. I have to start John Green but Lemony Snicket was awesome, even his name is super cool!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well definitely make room to read some John Green soon- his novels (I've read TFiOS and Alaska) really are stunningly beautiful and wonderous. I like them. A Lot. (:
      Absolutely; his work is so creative and full of amazing plot twists and with a name like that he's extra amazing! (:

      Delete
  5. I loved A Long Long Sleep! I thought it was one of the most underrated books of last year!

    Check out my Top Ten Favorite YA Contemporary Authors HERE!

    Also, I have a FANTASTIC giveaway of a SIGNED copy Lauren Oliver's new book, THE SPINDLERS, going on HERE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a stunning novel- I thought I would really enjoy it, but I didn't think I would end up loving it as one of my top books of 2011 and of EVER! It was such a fantastic read and with a lot of very surprising twists and turns.

      Delete
  6. John Green is definitely one of my faves, TFioS was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it?! That was actually my very first John Green and I really didn't think I would like it! (I'll just go and berate myself for his awful thing I've done by not having got into John Green's work earlier) I can't wait to read some more of his books, maybe Paper towns next.

      Delete
  7. This is great! you highlighted several authors that I wasn't aware of, so thank you for bringing them to my attention :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- I'm thrilled to hear you're going to look into reading some of these authors work! It was a hard decision to choose which authors I would classify as YA Contempory authors, in the end I think I did an okay job, I'm pleased with it! (:

      Delete
  8. Anna Sheehan's book is definitely one of my favorites :) I loved it!

    TTT fairytale authors @thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what more comes from her- she's definitely a super talented writer and I'm still holding out for the possibility of a book 2, even though I love the ending of ALLS.

      Delete
  9. I haven't read any of these, but there are some that I really want to! Thanks for sharing this great list!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely get onto the ones you're wanting to read! All of these authors have such amazing work published, I can only dream about what they'll come out with next!

      Delete
  10. John Green is one of my favorite contemporary authors, too! Do you watch his vlogbrothers videos? James Dashner and Lemony Snicket are great, too, although I didn't realize that Snicket was the author of Why We Broke Up. I have to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't his work just stunning? Yes! I've been a fan of it ever since I reac TFiOS this year, which was sadly my first ever John Green book- I tried reading Alaska before it but couldn't get into it, yet I tried again about three weeks ago and ADORED IT! (:
      Why we broke up is such a fantastic, creatively beautiful novel- I didn't realise that's who it was until I was halfway through, as I don't generally read the About the author sections until the end!

      Delete
  11. contemporary seems to be a popular choice for this topic! i haven't read most of these authors but you've definitely given me new ones to check out. they all sound so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, wasn't it? I saw quite a few other contemps myself!
      That's fantastic! I hope you enjoy their work if you have a chance to read their work! Spreading the love for fantastic writers is such a fun task. (:

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x