Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (4)- Top ten books to get into the Halloween spirit.




This is a pretty dismal Top Ten from me, but I hope you enjoy my top ten for books to get into the spirit of Halloween- none of them are particularly halloweeny (which is a word, I'll have you know.) but they're a little spooky and I would definitely recommend them in this spookifyed (another word- honest.) time of year. Enjoy!

1. Coraline by Neil Gaiman.
I read Coraline earlier this year and, though it is quite a terrifying novel, it is equally fantastic, with enough spook to get it to the top of my list. Trust me, you'll want the one with illustrations.

2. Horseradish- Bitter truths you can't avoid by Lemony Snicket.
Isn't it a truth universally acknowledged that around Halloween people want to read a tonne of bitter truths? Thought so.

3. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secets by J.K. Rowling.
It didn't find it's way into the movie, but those who've read the book know it's got a fantastic Halloween party, which was my favourite part of the second book; the first book also has a really great Halloween scene, that involves trolls.

4. Un Lun Dun by China Mieville.
This is such a dream-like and spooky novel that I couldn't miss it off this list. It's got creepy beings we wouldn't recognise if we saw them in front of us, a diving suit that can walk about without anyone inside it, and an umbrella army.

5. A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.
Unfortunate events. Enough said.

6. Jane by April Linder.
A retelling of Jane Eyre, this is a really beautiful book with one or two scenes thar are fairly nerve wracking and generally creeeepppyyyy....

7. Reckless by Cornelia Funke.
This is such a beautiful novel with abeautiful as heck covers and an amazing storyline, but it's not without is scare factor- anyone met the Tailor before? He has needles and scissors on his hands instead of fingers and makes his clothes out of human.... skin

8. Beautiful Creatures by Margaret Stohl and Kami Garcia.
Though I didn't make it to book 2 in the series, this book I did really enjoy.

9. The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie.
Murder. Murder. Murder. Murder. 

10. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
C'mon, it's narrated by Death, surely that's enough?

Happy top ten!

14 comments:

  1. I still need to read The Book Thief! I should really get to that soon. HP made my list too, because of the great Halloween parties!
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I only got to it within the last month and I was a little hesitant going into it because it's fairly huge, but it was a really quick read, especially for it's size, and is now an absolute favourite of mine! I hope you enjoy it when you read it! It's beautiful!

      I know! The deathday party is such a fun scene, and who can forget trolls in the dungeon?

      Delete
  2. Last year I bought Jane by April Linder and I still haven´t read the book. I really don´t know why..shame on me. I should read it asap.

    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should read Jane asap! It was such a beautiful modern retake on Jane Eyre, which I can't believe I still haven't got to! It's really beautiful and a very strong novel that I found completely gripping!

      Delete
  3. I can't believe I forgot to include some Agatha Christie on my list... Great top ten! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that I had just the right amount (for once) of books I thought were spooky enough but also not overwhelmingly creepy, so I didn't have to miss any off as I normally end up doing, though I've seen a few on other peoples lists that I would have added if I had thought of them! Agatha Christie writes such fantastic, suspenseful novels... it's amazing!

      Delete
  4. New follower here...great list. Love Coraline. Feel free to stop by and check out mine...
    http://asoutherngirlsbookshelf.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-ten-tuesdayhalloween-spirit.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Coraline such an inspiring novel? I love that it's uplifting in very subtle ways, not in your face THIS IS REALLY INSPIRING, ISN'T IT? I really loved it, and the illustrations are freakishly wonderous!

      Delete
  5. ooh I didn't think of A Series of Unfortunate Events but that's such an obvious choice now. Fab list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on my mind because I'm re-listening to the series at the moment, otherwise I probably wouldn't have thought of adding it either! It's such a fantastic series and now I'm up to... dun dun dun... THE END! Crazy crazy crazy. I listened to it on audio when I was about 8, but never got past book 10 (I'm not sure if the others weren't out then...?) so I have no idea what's going to happen! It's extremely fun and nervewracking!

      Delete
  6. OK, on top of the ones that were on my list, too: Un Lun Dun is an awesome and creepy book! I really enjoyed it. And Cornelia Funke can very much pull out the scary. Even the Inkheart books have some terrifying moments.

    I should read the April Linder book... I love Jane Eyre. Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Un Lun Dun beautiful? I was so sad for it to end and wished there was more, though that was a really amazing ending! Oh yeah she sure can! I remember a certain man with a silver nose in the inkworld!

      You definitely should- it's beautiful and a really fun modern adaptation, with suspense, intrigue and rock n' roll! (:

      Delete
  7. Loved the Book Thief! Death is an awesome narrator. Jane sounds really good and as a book-lover/blogger, I should probably get to reading Harry Potter, huh? I feel slightly ashamed. But great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fantastic? I was daunted by the size for a long time, but I zipped through it when I started!
      Jane is excellent- very modern and very addictive, plus a touch spooky/mysterious!
      And ABSOLUTELY! You're definitely missing out if you havent got to HP yet! DO IT NOW! It's absolutely life changing.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x