Tuesday, November 20, 2012

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang...


Title- What's Left of Me.
Author- Kat Zhang.
Publish date- October 2012.
Publisher- Harper Collins.
Rating- Three stars.


Review...

Thank you to Harper Collins for this review copy!


What I thought:
Beforehand about...
I've been hyped for What's Left of Me for roughly a year- it was one of the books I found about about while it was still in the editing process, and I've been gradually getting more and more and more and more excited about it. The synopsis comes out = can I have it now? The cover comes out = extreme excitement!

Authority/the bad side.
The ruling power in this novel is very interesting and definitely one of the eviler I've read- the secrets that progressively come out through the novel are really wonderful and keep the pace going, though most come out in the second half of the book.

Characters.
I never really fell in love with any of the characters- Eva was certainly my favourite and I found the relationship she had with Addie interesting, if a little tiring at times with they're fighting- and I never felt completely sold on the love interest. It's not that I didn't like either of the characters involved, I did, but I didn't ever think it felt... right. Maybe I would have preferred it to happen more in the second book than in the first, but it just didn't add anything to the novel for me.

The Cover.
The cover- I love the cover, though not in the flesh quite as much as I like it when pictured above, but I still really like it. Until I was a little over a third of the way through the novel I didn't really work out the double face on the cover, yet I really liked it because it's a really thought-provoking cover, I think, though my love for it certainly rose when I figured it out.

Overall-
Surely because of how excited I was for What's Left of Me, and how high my expectations were, I didn't like it nearly as much as I expected. I love love love the premise- the entire idea of a world where everyone has two souls living in one body, switching from one to another, but eventually disappearing, is incredible. MIND BLOWING. It's a seriously fantastic, stunning, extrodinary idea, and I really enjoyed how it progressed and panned out- to begin with, as in before I started the book, I thought they were two seperate souls in seperate bodies, so it was a little confusing to begin with but then I got it. Yet I never actually loved the novel- a lot of the time I found it slow and other than the double souls there wasn't anything else, for me, that really captured my attention. I felt it had a lot of potential, but I just didn't feel it play out for me and I don't see myself reading the rest of the series.


4 comments:

  1. Hmm. Between yours and Sarah's reviews, I think I might give this one a miss. It does sound interesting conceptually, but I hate it when I can't really love any of the characters, and it's frustrating when you can see all this potential that isn't quite being lived up to.
    Great review though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend getting it out from the library if you saw they had it and trying, though I think it would be pretty easy to tell within the first 50 pages or so wether you liked it or not, though I was sadly disappointed.
      Thankm you! x

      Delete
  2. I feel the black sheep regarding this book. While most readers and reviewers alike seemed to love this one, I gave it a begrudging three star rating because of the extremely sketchy, underdeveloped world-building, lacking, unoriginal plot (in spite of the fascinating concept) and I never really connected with either main characters, either. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wasn't completely sold on the overall package..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had read mostly amazing reviews for it, so I didn't really see what could go wrong, other than differing tastes... and it did! I'm glad that others enjoyed it, even if I didn't, though I'm sad that I didn't like it as much as I hoped. x

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x