Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Path of Beasts by Lian Tanner...

Title- Path of Beasts.
Author- Lian Tanner.
Publish date- October 2012.
Publisher- Allen and Unwin AU, Delacorte Press US.

(Goodreads)

*May contain spoilers to those who have not read books 1 and 2 in the series.*

Link to Q&A with Lian Tanner.
Link to review of City of Lies (#2)

Review...


What I thought:
This was the perfect ending to a series that I feel as if has trapised through the first half of my youth (as in teenage years) with me, so it's definitely sad that it's over, despite my being thrilled with this finale book- I'll miss looking forward to another book in the series, though I can certainly hope for more from Lian Tanner.

The energy in this novel, especially in the last 150 pages or so, is absolutely incredible- the characters face many hardships and choices and there is constant action and heart pumping pages to read through- I did struggle to find time to sit and read for a long time while I was reading this, because of NaNo and just not being able to find time to read, but once I did I was unable to unhook myself from the story, I was so captivated.

Goldie Roth, the heroine, has an on-going struggle with the (spoiler) spirit of a ancient warrior princess that has become a part of her- the princess is all about battle and is unforgiving, completely the opposite of Goldie's character, so it's a very interesting and thought-provoking process, seeing her fighting against the princess and trying her hardest to hold true to herself- it definitely was ne of my favourite parts about the novel because it really, and not in a big glowing letters and up front way, made me, for one, really want to fight like Goldie to stay true to myself, and I will definitely take lessons from this to the next part of my life, though I do remember thinking at one point that Goldie repeated what she was saying only a few pages before in a fairly similar way.

The ending was a touch open feeling- I feel like there could have been an afterward, explaining things from a distant perspective, though it was an interesting and not at all bad way of letting the readers think and choose how things went along with time, and there were a few happy hints that I took a lot of pleasure in reading and re-reading.

I absolutely loved this novel- from the now answered questions that have been with readers since the first book, to the new characters and, in general, revelations! It's a stunning final novel and to say that I was happy with it, as an end, would be a massive understatement. I'm thrilled with it- beyond thrilled! And I would recommend it to anyone who likes fantastic novels with powerful heroines and characters who will both make your heart swell and make you shake in your chair.

Romi.x


Thank you to Lian Tanner for sending me this copy!

4 comments:

  1. Oh there is nothing better than a great conclusion to a favourite series. I'm glad to hear you were happy with this book! I have yet picked up the first two novels, but you have intrigued me with your review so I shall go off to investigate this series now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't agree more! That's fantastic- I highly recommend them! They're really a wonderful series.

      Delete
  2. I'm unfamiliar with this series, but you've totally convinced me to look further into it with your incredible review! The last sentence is perfect: powerful heroines and characters who will both make your heart swell and make you shake in your chair. That's DEFINITELY me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much- I would definitely suggest putting this on your to-read list; it's such a fantastic series!

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x