Monday, December 31, 2012

The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin...


Title- The Evolution of Mara Dyer.
Author- Michelle Hodkin.
Publish date- 2012 (US) 2013 (AU)
Publisher- Simon and Schuster.

*Review of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer*
(Goodreads)

*Review may contain spoilers to the previous book/s in the series*

Review...

What I thought:

I was not breathing during this book- it would be slightly more usual to say something like, "During the last fifty pages" or anything slightly less than the 520ish pages of this book,  but really? I only took a breath after I finished it yesterday and then I steeled myself against any sobbing that I felt was going to reasonably happen- it didn't help that I had had a terrible heartbreak at the hands of the worst christmas special ever earlier, but I was almost finished twenty pages from the end because it was so scream-worthy. In a really tense and in the end goodish way.

I loved it.

French the Llama I loved it so much. Why is the last book not published? Because it needs to be. Seriously- you thought The Unbecoming had a cliffhanger ending... think again. Just don't pick this up until a month before the finale is published, because you will almost certainly not thank yourself.

The Evolution is a lot, and I mean a lot, more creepy than The Unbecoming, and I don't go for creepy- I'm paranoid enough as it is without having to read/watch/hear of spooky happenings that will just make me really uncomfortable, but though this definitely had be on the edge of my seat for a long time (who am I kidding, it was really the entire book) but there was only a brief period in which I got a little uncomfortable and thought of just reading the last few pages to make sure the creepiness was explained before continuing. I considered it, but I didn't do it.
It's creepy and spooky and the only book of it's kind that I would read, I have little doubt, but it's excellent and though I would not recommend it for anyone under the age of 15/16, it wasn't really that scary, more unsettling and not for long.

Take all the wonderfulness from The Unbecoming, I would say, and double it once or twice. You've got The Evolution- a new book with a new plot and some new characters and a beautiful cover.

The characters...
...
...
...
They grow and they change and they have such brilliant dialouge and I think Mara Dyer and I should be friends, and this is because she is so awesome.
Also, Noah and Mara and still excellent. They're sailing their own ship.

(Also, the swearing in this book was about nine times less than in The Unbecoming- I think there were only five times I read major curses, and as that was something I disliked about The Unbecoming, I'm really glad.)

I gave this about a gazillion stars but had to lower it to five.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, Romi, I love the enthusiasm of this review! :-D
    I love these books too - and it's weird because they're so not my usual type - I don't like unreliable narrators, I like to know what's real and what's not, I'm not a fan of creepy, unsettling stuff - but despite all that I really, really enjoy these ones, and I can't wait for the third book! I think you're so right, the characters and the dialogue really make it, and I loved that Mara and Noah stay pretty strong as a couple and Mara actually shares what's going on with Noah - so many YA heroines do not do this, and it annoys me so much, and I always end up shouting at the book "JUST TALK TO HIM ALREADY" and then I look like the crazy one, not the character. *sighs*
    I don't remember the swearing in The Unbecoming. But I tend to desensitise pretty quickly to swear-words in books. Which isn't really a good thing.
    Also, I kind of want Mara's dress - the one she's wearing on the cover. It's pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- I didn't even know until I finished the first book that there was the supernatural twist... I didn't even think about it when I was reading it and at the end that just kind of clicked- I doubt I'd have read it as readily if I knew, so I'm glad for not knowing!

      And I know! I would love to find out where that dress is from... you can actually find heaps of different pictures from the photography shoot is you search the unbecoming of mara dyer cover and look at the images- I think there's a whole portfolio somewhere, and they're so beautiful.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x