Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2012 Book and Blogging Survey.


1. Best Book You Read In 2012?
Overall it was The Hunger Games Trilogy, which I read for the first time. (Catching Fire, to be specific.)
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Insurgent by Veronica Roth- I was really disappointed with it and spent so much of the duration of my reading being annoyed with the characters. And also Reached by Ally Condie- it was a let down, especially so as I loved Matched. Oh, and What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang- mega disappointment.
 3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012? 
My Life in Outer Space by Melissa Keil- I thought I would probably like it, but it bought me out of my reading slump and has my eternal grattitude. Also The Fault in Our Stars- it was my first John Green and I didn't think I woud like it...
 4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
It would probably be TFiOS/John Green novels, THG series or The Book Thief.
 5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
Again, The Hunger Games. I also found the Mara Dyer series, which I adore!
 6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
John Green, Markus Zusak, Suzanne Collins, Melissa Keil...
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
I think it would have to be The Unbecoming & The Evolution of Mara Dyer- it's Paranormal/Supernatural YA and a little creepy/slightly horror feelingey, but I adore it. Doubt I would read anything else in the genre, but this is the best!
 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
 9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
The Fault in our Stars. And every other John Green book.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
The Fault in our Stars and Why We Broke Up.
I guess I kind of like simplicity in covers- these two are my standout favourites and I just really love everything about them, especially how they suit the books and tell a little story in themselves.
11. Most memorable character in 2012? 
Finnick Odair from Catching Fire Mockingjay, Lyra Blacqua from His Dark Materials series and Coraline from the book of the same name.
 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
The Book Thief and Why we Broke up- both incredible and I really liked the way they were written.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012? 
Coraline and THG series- Coraline is a book I wish I had read when I was younger, but still being reasonably youthful it is still one that I'm really glad I read now; it's got a lot of lessons and so many will stick by me. The Hunger Games really made me question the way the world is moving and those are questions I don't know when/in what way I would have asked.
 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read? 
His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman- I've been wanting to read it for so long and it surpassed all expectations.
 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012? 
I've got hundreds, hundreds of favourite quotes from books I read last year, so picking just one (or a few) is torture. Basically everything from Looking for Alaska and TFiOS by John Green, because his books are so quotable,  but also The Book Thief.
 16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012? 
Longest — Either Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix or The Amber Spyglass.
Shortest — I think that was Tales of Beedle the Bard.
 17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
A certain underground scene in Mockingjay, Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix at the ministry (I'd listened to the audio but never read it and the feels!) and The Book Thief. In it's entirety.
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Finnick and Annie from Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, Hazel and Augustus from TFiOS, and Noah and Mara from The Unbecoming/The Evolution of Mara Dyer.
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously
Why we broke up by Daniel Handler. So stunningly different and so amazingly wonderful and ahhhhh.
20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Probably The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, because John Green said in a video how much he loved it and I decided to read it without knowing anything about it. That, my friends, is dedication to an author.

 Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012 

 

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012? 
I think my two new favourites would have to be Novel SoundsSaz101 and Alexandrasscribblings.
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2012? 
Probably my review of A Long Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan, which I really enjoyed writing, and my most recent one which was for The Evolution of Mara Dyer, in which I was a fan.
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
Everything that came from Blogspiration posts.
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
Something Alexandra posted as part of Blogspiration a while back...  the idea that you can only love someone, not save them, was really thought provoking to me and we both shared our points on the subject, which I found even more thought provoking and interesting.
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Blogspiration- it's been incredibly fun and I've found a lot of new blogs from it, so that.
6. Best moment of book blogging in 2012?
Expanding my reviews and becoming really happy with my blog overall.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My review of TFiOS was quite popular (a review I will no doubt update/do again this year).
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I mean, it's quite a negative review, but I would have loved to start up a conversation about the book Between the Lines.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Collaging quotes and rediscovering Artemis Fowl on audio.
10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I read over 100 books, which was a small goal and one I didn't pay much attention to. I set my eyes a little high when writing my booklist for 2012 and didn't reach that by far, so I'm going down a dozen steps or so this year.

Looking Ahead…


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?
The sequel to Swallows and Amazons and Anna Karenina. Must read before I see the movie.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?
Probably The Retribution of Mara Dyer, because why not.
3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?
I want to do more personal posts, not solely reviews, and I want to read more classics.

2 comments:

  1. The Hunger Games <333 Glad you got to read and love those series this year! And too bad you didn't enjoy Insurgent as much, I thought it was brilliant. And you made me VERY excited for the Mara Dyer series :) I'm getting to that one asap!

    Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Oh, well I'm glad you loved Insurgent- I just found the Tris/Four confrontation and constant bickering/unplesantness overwhelmingly frustrating. Ooh, I hope you like it! So fantastic!
      Happy 2013! x

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x