Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Get to know a blogger {3} Lauren from Lauren's Loquacious Literateure.


{Get to know a blogger is a new feature I'm hosting on my blog during 2013- every fortnight, if I can, I will be posting a Q&A with a blogger, and together we can get to know just a little of the awesomeness that surrounds those in the blogging community. I think it's going to be fun.}

Today I am featuring Lauren from Lauren's Loquacious Literateure.


*Describe yourself in 10 words or less.
Fluorescently coloured, crazy cat lady, spikey, readaholic, vocal, whimsical,


*Describe your blog in 5 words.
Awesomely full of polka dots.


*Has blogging changed anything about you?
I think it’s changed lots of things. I’ve tried different genres of books than I ordinarily wouldn’t have – contemporary YA for one. I’ve read more books based off of recommendations than I used to, I used to only select books based on the cover and ones that came to my attention on my own. Now, if lots of people I know have read it and liked it, then I’m more likely to give it a go. If I’d gone off my own assumptions, I would never have read Vampire Academy or Finnikin of the Rock, which I read because Kristin wanted me to. 
I’m reading a lot more books than I used to too. I’ve always been a big reader, but now, I feel like there’s SO many books out there and I won’t have lived properly if I hadn’t read them all, so I try to read as many as possible.
Stuff like the awesome Blogspiration meme were great because they started to make me feel a bit more daring and inspired about the world and it urged me to try new things. Sarah (Saz101) was blogging long before me, and she tried before to get me interested in it, but I was too chicken and also I wasn’t sure it was for me. But I’ve been really proud of myself for deciding to do and sticking to it for over a year. It’s made me make new friends with people and actually meet them in person, like Kristin (Growing Up YA), Mandee (Vegan YA Nerds), Alex (Alexander’s Scribblings) and Kim (Two Girls and a Novel). It’s certainly made me feel more courageous in the types of things I do though and made me set challenges for myself that are totally out of my comfort zone.


*Please describe the awesomeness of blogging in three words. (Hyphen’s may be used to cheat.)
Sharing-a-love-of-awesome-books-with-as-many-people-as-possible. (One word, BOOYAH!)


*What author/book/both have you found since you started to blog, that you can’t get enough of?
Hmm…that is a tough question. Like I said, I’m really glad I’ve found the Vampire Academy books. But I think that while I’ve found a couple of one off books that I’ve loved, I can’t think right now of a series that I’ve been desperate to follow ever since.


*What is one thing that people might not know about you?
That I’m full of awesome? But seriously. Possibly that I have an obsession with cheeky twins (aka the Weasley twins) or handsome twins (aka Gabriel Merrick), but there are a select few that DO know that. Um…I can’t sleep in the dark because I’m terrified of ninjas and raptors trying to assassinate me in my sleep. Also: I do NOT like being snuck up upon, Sarah can attest to that. I also hate germs. A LOT. But I love polka dots and cats, but if people don’t know that then I have failed in my life mission.


*What is the first book you truly loved. Like Darcy and Lizzie LOVE.
The first book I truly ever thought was the epicest thing ever was by Tamora Pierce. It’s the first of the Protector of the Small series: First Test. I read it over and over again. It was the first book with such a truly amazing main character. Keladry is kind, defends people from bullies even at the expense of her own physical safety, she has a strong sense of right and wrong and how the world should work. She’s practical and responsible, and has a lot of love in her heart for animals and people of all kinds. She adopts the grumpy old horse, Peachblossom, that won’t behave for anyone despite the fact that he’s far too big for her and far too misbehaving because A)she wants to save him from a junior fiction version of the glue factory and B) she’s determined to prove everyone wrong about her and her abilities and strive to be the best she possibly can. She wants to be a knight, the first girl ever to (openly) apply for knight school, because she wants to help people and protect whomever needs protecting.


*What fictional character do you think most resembles you?
This has surprisingly been a really hard question to answer. Possibly the closest would be Neve from You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me by Sarra Manning. I still think she’s a lot more determined and driven than me, but she has a lot of the same hang ups and insecurities and she’s totally awkward at talking to people, especially new people.

Generally when I’m reading, I will tend to pick characters that are completely opposite to me. I’m reading to escape, to try new things from the comfort of my quilt and experience incredible journeys. So instead, I like to read books about the kind of people I’d like to be. I want to be resourceful like Yelena, kind and generous like Keladry, knowledgeable and made of awesome like Hermione, fierce like Katsa and the Buffyest Buffster ever. I want to be courageous and go on adventures like Bilbo, save the world like Frodo, receive an education from ghosts like Nobody Owens, get up to all sorts of hijinks like Fred and George and quite possibly snog Gabriel Merrick (who am I kidding, I definitely want to snog Gabriel Merrick). 

Follow Lauren (everywhere)-

15 comments:

  1. Yay polkadots! Also, I especially love Lauren's answer to that last question. I've never really thought about seeking out particular characters/characters who demonstrate specific traits. Now I want to go through all the characters I've liked and analyse why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polka dots rule everything- oh, you know how you did the How Novel Sarah Rees Brennan post with the clothes I was salivating over? I found the black Polka dot dress online and bought it and LOVE IT SO MUCH!
      Lauren has a good mind and words.

      Delete
    2. Do you know, I've never met an unhappy polka dot. It's impossible to dislike them.

      Delete
    3. Ahhh, that's awesome! About the dress, I mean, but really, that comment could apply to pretty much everything that was said above. But I'm really, really pleased that you found it and bought it and love it! :-D

      Delete
    4. Lauren- That is because polka dots are round and thus like smiley faces. There are so many of them at one time, generally, so imagine all the jokes going around that we never udnerstand. That makes absolutely no sense, but I'm letting it fly.

      Alexandra- THANKYOU FOR SHARING IT ON YOUR BLOG I LOVE IT SO MUCH AND WEARING IT WITH MY LARGE COLLECTION OF COLOURED TIGHTS IS WONDERFUL. Seriously, I am in love with that. And I think my sister is going to make me a slightly different Strawberry dress, but basically the same one. Wh-hey!

      Delete
    5. Oooh, coloured tights, hey? I have a pair of purple tights that I am enormously fond of. Actually, they were my mother's, but I stole them, and now they are mine. But she steals my boots, which were vastly more expensive, and my cardigan, so it all works out in the end. I want to buy black-and-white striped tights. Horizontal stripes, not vertical.

      Round things are nice. Nice and cheerful.
      So dance, smiley-face-polkadot, dance on the wind, and laugh at all the mortals who do not get your polkadotty jokes.

      Delete
    6. Horizontal striped tights sound awesome, especially in black and white! I really like ombre ones, too, but they can be so expensive! I find 40-70 dollars for a pair of tights a little steep, but at the same time they are very awesome. Tights, tights, tights. (Or stockings, stockings, stockings.)

      Delete
  2. Fluorescently coloured, crazy cat lady, spikey, readaholic, vocal, whimsical.

    Basically, yeah :P
    Hehehe! Romi! This is a WONDERFUL interview, and Lauren, you are crazy, and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah- I didn't add it to the Q&A, but she actually answered the one question I have been seeking the answer to for my entire life. It is 42.

      Delete
  3. I need to read the Vampire Academy books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been drawn to the series, but I hear it's quite good- hope you enjoy!

      Delete
    2. They were in my store for years and I kept seeing people so desperately excited for the new book coming out and I kept thinking "Pfft, what lameasses. Be excited for Harry Potter, not for some stupid boarding school Twilight!"

      But they are SOOOOO good! They deal with proper issues like depression in such a really honest...REAL way and it was brilliant. But I LOVE that Rose makes mistakes and then LEARNS from them and actually matures over the course of the series. I'mma keep slapping you in the head with them til you read them now. :)

      Also: POLKA DOTS!

      Delete
    3. I silently snorted when I read "Boarding School Twilight".
      Well I tried reading the first book in the new series, Bloodlines, and did not like it. Basically I am thinking TRY AS YOU MIGHT BUT I WILL KEEP RUNNING. Fast as a tiger, so unless you can throw really well I don't see me relenting. ( :

      Also, I am pretty sure you are saying Polka Dots at the end of each of your comments for a particular, probably sinister, reason. I am okay with this.

      Delete
    4. Well I haven't read Bloodlines so I can tell you nothing polka dots. But I know everyone's all about Adrian and he's in them so polka dots it makes people WANT to read them. Sydney's from the VA series, but she was a bit meh and not at all like a polka dot.

      But fo shizzle, I'mma find out where you live and whisper it in your ear as you polka dot sleep at night. Then you'll wake up and not only feel very uncomfortable, you'll also want to read polka dots.

      Delete
    5. I don't like the sound of a character who was a bit meh and not at all like a polka dot. That just doesn't sound nice.

      Well finding me may be harder than you think, because I'm HARRY FREAKIN POTTER and I have an invisibility cloak which I cover myself with as I fly around on Fawkes.
      Circle on a coloured background.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x