Thursday, March 28, 2013

The History of Love by Nicole Krauss...

Title- The History of Love.
Author- Nicole Krauss.
Publish date- 2006.
Publisher- W. W. Norton. (US Edition.)

(Goodreads)

Review...


What I thought:
Oh my- where to begin? I finished this yesterday afternoon and am honestly still reeling. This is one of those books you remember, that you know are incredibly special and will be important during the course of your life- this is the kind of book that you know will change you, you know you will love, you are already lining up people to suggest it to. And how can one write a review about a book like this?
*First you start by getting a good soundtrack and writing in bursts of however the particular song lasts for.
*Second you fill up with sorrow and feelings you can't even handle and then you just go and write and it will be done before you know it.
Right?

The History of Love got me within the first few pages- it's been such a long time since I've just read a book and not cared how long it took me, not been worried about getting behind with other things, and unintentionally this book took those worries away from me. It took me seven says to read, despite being only 250 pages, and I relished the reading, the characters, the beauty of the writing and the story it told, which is in turns both highly amusing and sorrowful, heartbreaking.

I found characters, in this book, that I will never forget because they became a part of me as I got so invested in them, particularly Alma, one of the protagonists, of whom there are generally three.

It is beautiful, a little confusing perhaps, thought provoking- so many things, and a lot I wouldn't expect to see in one book, but overall I would call it beautiful in one of the most honest senses.

Rating- Big Explosion MIND BLOWN.
This is simply a book I can't recommend enough. It's quiet, with a life of it's own, and just one of the most inspiring and amazing books I have read in my life.
(Also, it contains a quote starting, "Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl..." and I had seen it previously, uncited, and was just so thrilled to stumble upon it unexpectedly.)

4 comments:

  1. I've heard of this book a few times, though I've never been too interested in reading it until now! I can tell how much you loved it. It's brilliant when a book can make you forget everything else around you. Most of the time when I am reading, I'm always thinking about how long it is taking me, what I will pick up next etc. I'm glad you loved this book enough to let go of all that. :) Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you read it- it's just incredibly beautiful and intriguing and I am just in awe. I completely agree- I get quite stressed about when I need to finish a book by ect. so this, not worrying at all and not caring about not worrying at all, was awesome.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, Romi, gorgeous review. I don't recall ever hearing about this book before, and it sounds sooo good, and I love how obviously you really, really loved it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuuuu! It's so beautiful and if you read it I hope you love it too! The writing is just exquisite. It's amusing, I was talking to my mentor in America about it after I finished and aparently she'd read it too and loved it and it was just awesome. I really hope you read it!

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x