Friday, March 15, 2013

Writing from the Writer.

I was talking to someone recently about my blog and for the first time I spoke aloud my (recent) feelings about the title- I started this blog in 2010 and had just begun to understand and cultivate my love for writing, and I called it Where the Writer Comes to Write.

I wanted to be a writer (and I still do).

I didn't plan to begin a book review blog, but rather someplace I could share my thoughts, writing experiances and plans to submit my work to different companies, competitions, maybe ocassionally share something apart from the actual words that are contained in the almost 400 posts on this part of my life which I almost wrote down as being a little one, whereas it is certainly small in no part.

I started reviewing books, ocassionally doing a more personal post about my writing, posts which slowed down more and more and eventually became a couple of updates throughout November during NaNo.

So, the name Where the Writer Comes to Write often seemed a little problematic, awkward- oh why don't I just say it- CRINGEWORTHY*.
It may not be classy, easy to remember, and it is definitely a mouthful, but...
I don't care, because for me it is important. I like having this name, remembering the person I was when I started it and remembering the reasons I did are incredibly important to me, more important then maybe I can even conceive right now.
They make me remember, especially right now as I write this, that the whole point of this was to share my writing and the things I was doing with it to get me where I want to do, and though I am awed and delighted beyone my wildest imaginings with the way things have turned out, I still want to share that writing. I ocassionally remember that fact, but am often so busy, either with keeping up to date with reviewing, or my writing itself, that I do nothing about it.

BUT THAT IS NO LONGER GOOD ENOUGH AND I NEED THIS IN CAPS SO I CAN'T GO BACK ON IT, OKAY? OKAY.

I have, since sometime in late January, been transcribing the sequel to my first NaNo novel, which I wrote in 2011 and shall thus call 11 (the sequel is going to be 12 for now) on to the very computer I write this on.
That is going really well, and I am super pleased with it. Hopefully that will all be done by June.
I am also ocassionally revising, writing new scenes and thinking about what I want/need to change in 11.
I have started two new stories this year, and one late last year- the late last year one is definitely one I seriously want to work more on, but it's been on hold since soon after I began it. The other two I haven't been working on too much or for too long (the revising-editing process distracts me from new writing), but I am planning on doing Camp NaNo this April (?) and am working on one of those newer ones during that (Camp NaNo novel is being called, currently, Peacocks and Ostentation).
Not writing new things as much as I would like, but I am very happy with things as they are currently going, because I know I'm not going to give up on these on-hold projects.

I have entered 2 short story competitions that end at the end of this month- The Moth Short Story Prize and the Brideport Short Story Prize (both British) and am planning on entering a few more next month. They're some of the first writing competitions I have entered of their type, and the first for this year, and I am incredibly excited and, perhaps this isn't something people are supposed to say about themselves but I do not care much for convention, so I am incredibly proud of myself. And I love that.

This is a long post- I enjoyed writing it. If you don't read it, that's okay. If you read part/s of it, that's okay, too. If you read it all, I'm impressed. Over all three ways and all others, I like it and am glad I wrote it. Procrastination seems to be leaving my system.

*Bloggy, I am sorry I said that. I do believe I may have offended you, and if you didn't realise throughout your pain as you read the rest of my words, I love you. I love you just the way you are, and I love the changes you allow me to make. x

8 comments:

  1. You are too cute~ I'm sure your blog isn't offended :) Congrats on all the writing you're getting done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks Jess! No, probably not, but I suppose I myself was a little offended at the idea I found something I made and loved cringeworthy, so I both had to justify myself, state my love for cringeworthy things and then, after all that, apologise. I couldn't help it, (:

      Delete
  2. I think it's great that you've entered those writing competitions. Good luck with them and well done! I have never been brave enough to write something and complete it, but I have a few ideas bouncing around in my head and I'm suddenly thinking about putting pen to paper. It's completely new to me though, but I might one day give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sam! Oh, I hope you do, if only to let your ideas out/be free, and have something you can look back on afterwards. I always have the feeling of pride and happiness when I finish something, it's so wonderful to just have it, no matter what you choose to do with it or what you don't. Also, I found NaNo such a fantastic way to keep going- it just really inspired me and kept things fresh.

      Delete
  3. I want to know more about your novels! And short stories. Please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always so nervous and maybe even a little scared about sharing my work, even working titles and the teeniest bits of information, but I think it's something I will end up doing. Perhaps next week I may write a little something about some of it... so- OKAY!

      Delete
  4. I used to write a lot, especially poems. I regret that I stopped one day, because now I can't find my words anymore. I lost my flow, but I hope that it will return to me one day. I think it's great that you are entering those competitions and I wish you all the best! :D

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel just the same way about playing the Violin- I learnt it when I was younger and played it with my grandfather, but at one point I just stopped and couldn't find the same rhythm I had before. I think when I next have a day with the house completely to myself I'm just going to practice and tune and try and get back into it, because I really wish I could still play. Good luck with going back into writing and thank you! x

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x