Monday, May 13, 2013

Books for when you're... (7)




Each fortnight I will showcase 1-2 books that I think would be fantastic reading if you're going through a  certian emotion/stage in your life.



Books for when you want to have a fictional friend (part 2).
There were so many books I wanted to feature in which I have found friends, fictional or otherwise, that this had to be a two part spot. Of course there are many, many more books that I would recommend, but these final two are absolute favourites.

Howls Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones.
Why I chose this book:
I chose this book because of Howl and Sophie and Calcifer, because of the dear friends I made and re-make each time I go back within the pages. I chose this book because Howl, despite being flamboyant and unpredictable and terribly unreliable, is an excellent human being and he cares, if not always openly, about the people he loves about. Because Sophie is strong and unwilling to let something pass if it's wrong just because it's easier, because she is fiesty and loving and understanding and loves flowers. Because I have always, always had a bond with Calcifer, the hot-headed thing.


Why I chose this book:
I make no secret of my outright love for the character Luna Lovegood, and she is being featured here today; even though they become her friends, best of friends, later on, I dislike the fact that people don't understand Luna, that Hermione, always so strong and level headed, doesn't take the time to understand her because she doesn't agree with her, and I dislike that Luna seems alone, even with Ginny. If we were to go to school together, we wouldn't be like friends, we'd be like a really small gang.



Stay tuned for some more bookish suggestions for the good times, and the bad.
So far I've covered-

12 comments:

  1. I love this series you have here... one of the reasons I recently followed your blog. I am always looking for something to read when I am sad.. I agree with Harry Potter of course. My dad was in a terrible motorcycle accident in November and I went to Utah for two months. During that time I didn't have anything to read.. and then I went ahead a started a Harry Potter re-read I had been meaning to do for a while. It brought me so much comfort. I have been meaning to read Howl's Moving Castle for a while too!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Angie! It's so fantastic to hear you're enjoying it, especially as I adore writing these up so much. Thank you so much for telling me. x
      I'm sorry to hear about the accident, but it's nice to hear that HP was there for you; I definitely recommend Howls Moving Castle- it's one of my favourites!

      Delete
  2. I agree with every single one of your points about Luna. I think I loved her from the instant I met her (because she was so uniquely herself), so I was just desperate for the other characters to finally accept and value her. She's definitely one of my favourites. I haven't met the characters from Howls Moving Castle, but I definitely want to pick that one up this year! I've heard nothing but good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a mini rewatch of the first movie she comes into and I think they're even less understanding of her there, which is really disappointing. I just can't get rid of my sadness at Hermione and her lack of understanding, especially as she was very much in the same position with people being mean to her in the first book, and even later on.
      Ooh, I hope (know) you'll love Howl! It's stunning!

      Delete
  3. HARRY POTTER (L) There are so many characters there I want to be friends with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, aren't there just? The twins would be the best to have around when you're gloomy!

      Delete
  4. YESSSSS. HOWL, SOPHIE, AND CALCIFIER. (notice how I put Howl's name first ;D )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I re-watched the film last week and my mother and sister came into the room a little before the green ooze scene- my sister hadn't seen it before and she was amused at his dramatic-ness.

      Delete
  5. Definitely yes to both of these! *huggles the entire cast of Howl. And by entire cast, I actually just mean Howl, Sophie and Calcifer, who are the ones who really matter*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I did just do a re-watch of the film last weekend and it was so glorious! Lots of funny memories with my brother doing the batman voice for Howl, due to Christian Bale doing the english dub for him.

      Delete
  6. I get what you mean about Hermione and Luna, and to be honest it hadn't occurred to me until you mentioned so there you go, not even midday and you've broadened my world view. But I think I like that they sort of shun her too; they're human and they're kids and it's nice in a way to see that even Hermione, so compassionate and level headed is also a flawed person who displays prejudice against others.

    Plus it's high school, befriending the weirdo only leads to trouble :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's also the fact that Hermione was bullied that gets me- why would she consciously do that to someone else who wasn't even doing anything to her? I imagined her to be more... open to others, after that.
      I am glad I was able to broarden broaden your world view- this is quite an accomplishment.
      Hey! Luna is not the "weirdo"! She's a sweet loving girl who is just a little different. Also people think I'm like her, so there's that.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x