Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Books for when you're... (8)



Each fortnight I will showcase 1-2 books that I think would be fantastic reading if you're going through a  certian emotion/stage in your life.

Books for when you want a character with a hobby that they LOVE.
This week I'm posting four books instead of the regular 1-2 with the ocassional 3d, but I'm giving vastly shorter wordage on why they're chosen so I think it's okay.
I always love it when you start to read a book and then you find out that one of the characters has a hobby and they're passionate about it and then you end up being able to connect with them so much better for it. Here are four of my favourites- a special mention goes to Sam in Life in Outer Space, for script writing, but I couldn't fit another book in.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.
Why I chose this book:
Well it's a not a hobby in the theme of the others, but Hazel loves to watch America's Next Top Model and mentions of it are dotted throughout the book- one of the models not making it through, watching hours of the taped programme- and it's quite an important part of the story for me. I wasn't quite sure how it fit, initially, but now I don't think I could have the book without it- Hazel is passionate about it, and I love that.

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan.
Why I chose this book:
Kami Glass has showed up in so many of these recently- she's so cool that it's no wonder! Kami's passion is Reporting, and she starts a school newspaper, bringing in her friends to help with different sections, as a way to use her passion. It is a massive part of the book and the very first pages start with her reading some of her work- it immediately captured by attention and I adored the fact that she would stop at very little to get the story.

Why I chose this book:
Gerald Durrel is passionate about animals, and it's something he never 'grew out of' as his family hoped he would- the "& Other Animals" part of the title is refrencing all the amazing expeditions he goes on and I really enjoy reading about the animals he finds, and often catches. Also the fact that he calls his family animals in the title is the best of bests. 

All This Could End by Steph Bowe.
Why I chose this book:
I chose this book mainly because of Spencer, but perhaps a little because of Nina, too- Nina's hobby, the thing she does so she doesn't have to think about robbing banks, is collect what she calls "pointless trivia" and she only names a few pieces of trivia throughout the book but it is the best pointless trivia I have ever heard. Spencer loves forgotten words, as I mentioned in my review (LINK REVIEW), and that's a hobby/passion that I share and there are some really beautiful ones that are shared throughout the book.


7 comments:

  1. My family and other Animals sounds really good to me!!! I am going to add it to my TBR pile!!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly do- I would love to hear what you thought about it, it's my all time favourite book and I can't say how excellent it is enough!

      Delete
  2. oooh I like this one! Such an interesting concept to take from the stories you read :D

    I'm trying to think now of ones with good hobbies...Ironically, I quite like Katniss' hobby of hunting, though not the part where she kills the little bunnies and squirrels and such. Baking as a hobby is pretty nice. I liked the running in Silver Linings Playbook too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lauren! x

      I had wanted to do archery for ages and, coincidentally, my family found a course to take for beginners a couple of months ago- my brother, mother and I did it together and he was so amused about me wanting to do it, because he knows I enjoy (love) THG. It was an incredible thing to learn to do, though, and I agree that her hunting skills, foraging and taking care of herself in the wild, are all very interesting. I'm going to teach myself to learn some handy Finnick knots next week.

      Delete
  3. I really want to read Life in Outer Space! Aww when the mention of pageants it reminds me a lot like the movie Little Miss Sunshine at the beginning. Have you watched that movie? You definitely should if you haven't! I have never thought of a character's hobbies but now that I think about it, it just adds more character to them and that just makes the characters special. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, it's such a fun and generally just really nice read- I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.
      Yes! I saw it when it first came out and then again a couple of years ago. It's such a sweet movie- I should watch it again.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x