Friday, June 7, 2013

Mini Reviews (3)

Mini Reviews.
(3)


Your Skirt's Too Short - Emily Maguire.
Review:
I really enjoyed the first half of this, it went in to some really interesting factors and points about the way women are perceived and the fact that you don't have to do certain things or act a certain way to have the rights to the same choices as anyone else, male or female, and it made lots of thought provoking points; I found it easy to go into and was immediately held by the writing and points made, but, unfortunately, at the halfway mark the points made felt like they were for a different audience- it's mentioned that mostly mid-aged teenagers will be reading it, but the detail that was gone into was not, in my mind, for teenagers- it felt as if it was written for a fairly universal age group to begin with and then just went off to a recommended adults-only area and I didn't find myself connecting with the points made any more. I ended up skipping over the majority of the second half, and strangely I found that another person on goodreads makes exactly the same point. Interesting...
Rating: Hmm...
I was really enjoying it but then it got, for me, overly detailed on some unpleasant procedures and subjects- the transition was unexpected and the writing + subject felt like they changed and I no longer felt I could connect, unfortunately.




The Little Prince- Antoine De Saint-Exupery.
Published by Wordsworth Classics.
Review-
I read The Little Prince in two days, and when I began it I believed I would finish it off in a day and it would be very quick, so when it took me a little longer I was faintly annoyed, until I continued to read and I realised that I didn't want to finish. I didn't want to read it in one day or in two days or in two weeks- I wanted to be able to read the story for as long as I possibly could, but at the same time I needed to finish it, I needed to know that happened and I loved every moment of it.
I had heard quite a lot about the book, but had never read it myself, so I bought a copy of the French edition and later the English, and I truly wish it was a book I read as a child because I think it would have affected me greatly.
It is a brief story, but I felt like it never lacked in detail or emotion, and there is a lingering feeling of wishing one could read it again afresh, and the knowledge that it will be a forever favourite.
Rating- Big Expolosion MIND BLOWN.
I was blown away by how incredible this was, touching me so much more than I could ever have imagined and immediately becoming a prominent favourite.
Tears and feels, basically.

7 comments:

  1. Yay to The Little Prince love! It seriously has so much nuance. I wish I read it as a child too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe I hadn't heard more about it before- I can't even remember why I wanted to read it and it's so beautiful! I'm definitely going to read it to any child I ever come in contact with. (:

      Delete
  2. I actually didn't know of The LIttle Prince until a little excerpt was featured in an english test I have to take at the end of each quarter and it intrigued me to look it up. I wish I knew when i was a child this book because I would have read it. Now, I really want to read it. Oh yeah, and I am also sold with the extra of the No-face gif. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am telling you very kindly and firmly that you have to read it before the month is out. It's less than 100 pages, with pictures, and is simply stunning. I'm sure you'll adore it! Also, no-face = yes to everything.

      Delete
  3. Aw I'm sorry Your Skirt's Too Short ended up being so disappointing, cos it sounded like a really interesting book when I saw it on GoodReads. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly wouldn't say the first half was disappointing, it was really thought-provoking and enjoyable, but I guess it was difficult to think of that when I was so disappointed in the second half. It was really good, the first half!

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x