Thursday, June 20, 2013

Mini Reviews (4)


Mini Reviews
(4)

The Horologicon - Mark Forsyth.
Review:
I am absolutely full of adoration for this book- the wordy-ness of it, the wittiness of it and the joy I had whilst reading are all things I still am filled with happiness when thinking about. Do not be deterred because you think this is a book about words and that's not really something you're interested in, because this is an absolutely incredible book; it gives suggestions on how your day might be playing out, as it is chaptered for every hour, starting at the hour before dawn and ending the hour before the hour before dawn (if I remember correctly) and though my day is vastly different from that of spending your last hour at work deciding that, seeing as you haven't done anything worthwhile yet, why start when it's almost over, I enjoyed it all the more for the difference. The words I learnt, and will continue to learn as I pull out the book on any and all ocassions to find the perfect word, are extraordinary and I end with this- Bumbershoot.
Rating: Big expolsion MIND BLOWN.
There are words for almost every situation and many I am confident (and hope) that I will never find myself in- it reads like an incredibly amusing story and narrates a life I wonder just how many people, other than the virtually self confessed author himself, truly live. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.


The Etymologicon - Mark Forsyth.
Published by Allen and Unwin Australia. (Thank you for this review copy!)
Review:
I'm currently reading the Etymologicon and decided to write my review whilst I still am reading it, instead of waiting until I've finished, because I'm having a unique experience whilst reading it.
This is the first book in the 'wordy series' and it's the second one I decided to read- after the sucess I found with my massive enjoyment of The Horologicon I couldn't not want to read this, also- and I'm finding it... difficult. There is no lack of the wit I loved so much in The Horologicon, I've already gracefully snorted to myself whilst reading at least once, but I've been reading this for well over a month and am still an embarrassingly short way through. Like, I'm not even 100 pages through. I definitely am finding it more difficult due to the lack of definite chapters- whereas with the other book I elected to read at least 1 chapter a day, the 'chapters' in this are 1-4 pages long and end on a half page, and so I haven't been able to let myself settle into the flow, because it feels like it keeps getting interrupted. And yet, if I only read one section a day it stops the flow even more dramatically, because each section leads into the next. So I'm at a stallmate, and that makes me sad.
Rating: Hmm...
I will not give up, but I don't know if I'm eventually going to settle into the rhythm or of I'll have to pull myself along uncomfortably and never really become attuned to it. I hope I do find a way to better emerse myself, but even if I don't I won't be giving up. The Horologicon has given me endless hope and I know it's going to be worth it, one way or another, even if it's not so clear at the moment. Those are your words of wisdom for the day.

8 comments:

  1. I am guessing that you loved the first book? ;D I did not know what the word bumbershoot meant and it irked me so much I had to look it up...An umbrella?! I thinking more dynamic and explosive? But next time I ask if anyone has an umbrella, i'll use that word. Let's see what they say. Probably look at me like this: O____O

    So this book is a book about words, or it also has a plot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED the Horologicon- I'm swooning just thinking of it!
      I wondered if that might happen! I'm glad that you looked it up; there's another word to describe a newspaper, a screammag or something like that, which I find very neat, too.
      Well there's not a typical plot, but a plot based on the words. It takes you on a daylong trip of a "typical" worker and tells you words that might come in handy, basically. But it doesn't exactly feel plot-less.

      Delete
  2. The Horologicon sounds fantastic, probably the sort of book I'd love to read just before going in to work. I hadn't heard of either of these before, so thanks for introducing them to me! It's a shame the second one isn't flowing for you as well as the first, but I hope you get through it comfortably eventually. :) Lovely reviews, Romi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely wonderful- I highly recommend it and think you'd definitely enjoy reading it (before work sounds perfect for it)!
      Thanks, Sam- I hope it picks up, too.

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed these (mostly)! While I'm not entirely sure both books are for me, I do like having wit in my books and it's great that the first one still fills you with happiness just thinking about it. Those are the books that really count! Too bad about the second, though. Maybe as you read on it'll get better? Here's hoping it does. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me passionate in a way I never imagined it would, and even if it doesn't necessarily sound like something you would generally read I found it really surprising and addictive. (:

      Delete
  4. Hmmm... I've never heard of these before, but The Horologicon sounds really interesting. More than just your average book! Sorry the second one isn't working as well as the first. :/ I hope it picks up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is- I'm really going to have to re-read it again, soon, because I just cannot feel my love for it diminishing any time soon, which makes me want to read it again and again! (:

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x