Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Blood of Wolves by Sulari Gentill.

Title- Blood of Wolves (Hero Trilogy #3)
Author- Sulari Gentill.
Publish date- March 2013.
Publisher- Pantera Press.

(Goodreads)

*Spoilers are probably abundant for those who haven't read the first two books.*
Review of book #2. (Somehow I have never reviewed the first book- check it out on Goodreads HERE.)

Review...



What I thought:
It was admittedly strange, opening this, the final book in a series I've followed since pre-publication of the first book, since before I started blogging, and it had a definite "this is the end" feel to it throughout; it was, at times, a trip down nostalgia lane- revisiting characters from the two previous books and seeing where and how they're getting along without constant surveillance by me, the reader.

The two things that I didn't like so much were how wrapped up the main, and some secondary characters stories were, for the most part- it felt too neat and, after so many disasters, a little improbable that they could be offered that branch of calm at long last, though it was well deserved. The other thing was Hero's, the character I feel the closest to, absolute infatuation with a character calle Aneas- he is untrustworthy and willing to go far for his benefit, willing to overlook the help he recieved in the past and to take all the credit- I felt she, with her clear head, would see right through him, as her brothers did, but wih every deed she only grew more dedicated in her love and utter admiration.

So while the adventure that this slightly larger group of Herders went on was just as exciting and unpredictable as ever, it had an almost constant feel of finality to it, though when it came to the end I didn't feel it. The end itseld was one of the few places that I didn't feel as if it was truly the end.

Rating: Ooh, very good.
I find that each time I've gone into one of the books after the first, I've been concerned that it won't have the same appeal to me as previously, and I am always proved wrong. The adventure, previously a single, reliable one, twisted itself around a lot more in this book, which made it a little more diccifult to find sturdy ground. At some times I felt the knowledge that it was the last book altered what otherwise would have happened, but the adventure and the characters were as I remembered them and I am so grateful to have read this series, which has in return given me so much. I will definitely be going back one day.


Thank you Pantera Press for this review copy!

6 comments:

  1. Looks like a series I need to check out~ thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really wonderful, thrilling series- I highly recommend it! (It made me really want to read Homer's Odyssey, which I found very surprising. I actually read it, too.)

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this series but it seems like you liked it overall! Sorry you didn't quite like how it wrapped up though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did- it's such a great series, and the ending was pretty open to the readers imagination, which I liked.

      Delete
  3. Hello Romi. I have had other readers tell me they think there is a fourth book to be written, but I don't know. I've always believed that stories don't ever end - the characters just begin to have lives independent of the writer... I hope my Herdsmen do in any case.

    Thank you so much for your review.

    Cheers

    Sulari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sulari- I hope you're well!

      Thanks for commenting- I'm glad you liked the review and I really agree about stories never ending. I really enjoyed how it felt as if you left it up to the reader to imagine what happened next, to think how they lived the rest of their lives.

      Romi.x

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x