Friday, July 26, 2013

Second Camp NaNo + Inspiration.

*Oh my Romi is writing about herself again.*

So as a few of you may know, I write, and I am currently participating in my second Camp NaNo for 2013 (my first being back in April) and it has been a whirlwind. For any of you who don't know, this is what Camp NaNo is about-

You spend 30 days writing a novel- in camp NaNo (NaNo short for NaNoWrimo, or National Novel Writing Month, which takes place in November) you can set a word count goal and have the option of being assigned a cabin. There are two camps each year, in addition to younger writer workshops, Script Frenzy and NaNo itself. It's a blast.

This NaNo hasn't been quite so smooth as my first, but I think I'm enjoying it even more- I started the month writing a story I'd had in m head for a couple of weeks and I was very sure of where it was going, until, after maybe a week and a half, I had a new idea. This new idea would not leave me alone and I ended up putting my first piece on hold so I could get it out- I'm extremely passionate about both stories, and both are polar opposites, but the new one was something I could not ignore and so... I didn't.

Another great thing about this Camp are my cabin mates- the first time I chose to have myself randomly assigned to a cabin, and none of my roomies were all that interested in making conversation, which can make the whole thing so much more interesting, but this time I chose to have my roomies assigned by certain by certain things (similar word count, age, ect.) and have at least one other writer who is as passionate as I am, and she's really nice.

I thought I'd share a couple of things that inspire me with this piece, so I hope you enjoy and I'll get back to writing.


The Veronica and Logan style of passionate hate is something I really... like? about their relationship. My characters have a similar kind of dislike which is twisted and confusing, mostly to them. Minus the making out.

Women with guns who aren't supposed to look sexy (and you have no idea how hard it is to find anything on google that fits those terms)- also The Black Widow.


Something about the starry night sky really inspires me, right now.



Something I've noticed with this piece is that I write about things I don't really like- guns, blood, knives, detailed decapitation of eyes- which half surprises me and half doesn't. Also, one of those things is a lie. It's not the eye.

Maybe next week I'll share a few songs that are inspiring this piece- as always, have a lovely day!

14 comments:

  1. Your work sounds amazing. Though you are being sneaky and not giving anything away. ;3 But it already sounds awesome so giving away a synopsis makes me lose all my thoughts of what it seems to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Delaney you are so sweet!
      I know, it's how I consciously and unconsciously talk about my writing- I can't abide giving away details until I'm really confident about it, and this way I get to find out what other people think it could be about? What are your ideas?

      Delete
  2. Haha, I agree with Delaney, you give nothing away! I use Pinterest for my story inspiration too. I tried Camp Nano for the first time this July and was so determined to win and was off to a great start. Then life happened. Sigh. Good luck on your novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me laugh- I'm very quiet about my writing and don't talk about characters or plot lines very much, but (despite not giving a synopsis or anything like that) I thought I was pretty open- for me! ( :
      I only just started a Pinterest account, because it's so much easier to divide things than on tumblr, and I really like how it works! It's pretty versatile.

      I'm sorry it didn't work out for you so well, but I hope (if you do it again) it goes better next time- and thank you, I'm really going well and today it my last day of the camp, actually! Fun!

      Delete
  3. I love that you're taking inspiration from VMars! I hope the writing goes well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great show- I started watching it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and love how the characters evolve so much. That's a really unique change, and I like how it's visual- in books it's harder to tell.
      Thank you! x

      Delete
  4. You're gonna be great :) And I love the first photo so bad =)) HAHAHA
    If you write a book, tell me! I would have one to myself xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much! I really appreciate that! x
      Veronica Mars is excellent- if you don't already watch it, I highly recommend it!
      Well I've written a few different pieces, but if I get published I have little doubt there will ever be an end to it on this blog! My excitement would know no bounds! ( :

      Delete
  5. Wow, I love these pictures!!! Especially the VM ones :P

    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Veronica Mars absolutely excellent!? I had no idea what I was missing out on.
      Thank you, Cayce- I'm glad you think the pictures are good, I love their inspiration fuel!

      Delete
  6. I'm all for guns in books! :) NaNoWriMo sounds like a lot of fun, but I don't think I could ever get anything done in 30 days. I am a terribly slow writer, and also very nitpicky. It'd probably take me 30 days to be completely satisfied with an opening chapter! :P I wish you luck though! I hope it all goes to plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a great, gun slinging protagonist, though knives seem to be more my thing. I'm excited about trying out different weapons, and writing that gun scene in my head!
      Thank you, Sam- I wouldn't have thought I'd go well in it (I actually got my goal a couple of days ago, and am thrilled!) because I'm not so quick writing generally, but having that deadline really gets me going. ( :

      Delete
  7. Good luck. I always envy people who not only read novels but can write them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's really kind! I actually wrapped up Camp the day before yesterday and gave myself a day break, but I'm back into writing today!

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x