Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Acid by Emma Pass.

Title- Acid.
Author- Emma Pass.
Publish date- May 2013.
Publisher- Corgi Childrens.


Review...


What I thought:
The thing that first struck me about Acid is the feel, going into it, of it being for te older sphere/spectrum of YA- with a "not suitable for younger readers" stamp on the back and a description of a crude tattoo on the protagonist's neck in the first pages, I was concerned about the content I would later be coming across; but, for all I anticipated things getting graphic, dark or just pretty piraty, nothing much happened until a small section at the latter half of the book. Indeed, apart from those instances, there was possibly less of the content that would warrant it to be an older YA book, verging on "New Adult" (a genre I'm still adjusting to) than a lot of other books I've read- books that didn't have the same initial feel of darkness and assumption that, if you'll pardon my language, sh*t was gonna get down. (I censor my own swear words. Only for you, blog. Only for you.)

The characters, particularly the protagonist Jenna Strong, are complicated- I was beginning to understand her and... not warm, but get used to her when her whole being was changed.
It's difficult to explain without giving away the plot too much, but suffice to say that almost every time I felt steady with her there would be a change and I would have to start all over again, getting reacquainted with her.
I felt these changes were, I suppose, a way to keep the plot feelnig fresh and keep the reader engaged, but after so many times I felt it was unnecessary- it gave the feeling of a lot of different stories all being mushed together and altered so that they kind of fit the plot, and I didn't like it. 
Yes, it did give that good pacing to the plot, but, I felt, at the price of unreliability and, eventually, a difficulty following it.

Jenna, otherwise, was a pretty standard character, though with a diverse backstory; she is, I guess, kick-ass, but at the same time annoyingly reckless- two characteristics that seem to follow each other- and also just a teenager. Also, Jenna is on the run and still falls for someone, an amusing circimstance that I did see a blogger comment on not that long ago, though I can't remember where- it didn't feel entirely needed, but was unsprising.
She takes an idiotic risk at one point and, though I'd felt pretty neutral to her before then, it made me really dislike her- she was rash and acted like she was the only one who could fix the problems (her own and much larger-scale ones) and by taking that upon herself she almost lost more than one life.

Another small thing I noticed was that, a couple of times, Jenna would say something like, "I don't need to ask what they mean by saying that thing, because I know," before proceeding to tell in detail just what they're talking about- also, the cover... is that Chloe Moretz?

Rating- oh noooo/poor.
I made it through Acid and that surprises me- there wasn't anything that really grasped me and it wasn't a particularly light read, but I didn't stop. It had plenty of problems, but I was semi-interested enough to pull through and that might just be the best thing about Acid for me.


Thank you to Random House for this review copy!

12 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that it wasn't such a good book. Jenna sounds like an okay character. I hope your next book is better :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel- I've certainly had a run of good books since reading Acid, though strangely it came amid a run of not so great reads. Hopefully this doesn't mean I'm about to have another few not so great ones- we'll see!

      Delete
  2. Hmm! This doesn't like a book I'd want to read, the constant changes would probably disorientate me as well and I find I dislike most of the NA books being release right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I found- it just seemed a little too messy and uncomprehendingly rapid to be soothing or, really, remotely easy to settle into, and things changed to quickly for you to have a change, one way or another.

      Delete
  3. This sounded so good when I first heard about it but now that I have read your review I am definitely not as excited. Jenna sounds like somewhat of a difficult character to get a hold on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sorry I've made you not so keen for it- if you do end up reading it, hopefully you'll like it more than I did and will now just be plesantly surprised! x

      Delete
  4. I was actually pretty excited for this book! For now I might still read it but having a character as complicated and pretty idiotic maybe to me but sounds a little naive too isn't something I like to read from as the main character. I do like the sound of the kick-ass part and the whole story behind the word Acid that still makes me want to read it, but other than that...not really.

    I'm sorry it wasn't much for you. I hope you next read is much, much better Romi! :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- the kick-ass parts were pretty kick-ass, though sadly they weren't always satisfying/long lasting.
      I'd like to know whether you do read it, and what you think! Maybe you'll end up really enjoying it.
      Thanks, Delaney!

      Delete
  5. "I censor my own swear words. Only for you, blog. Only for you" Lol, you're funny. This book doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but I enjoyed reading you review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I had forgotten about writing that! (:

      I'm glad you enjoyed the review- I haven't actually read all that many reviews of this, so I would be interested to see what other bloggers think of it comparatively- it's very pleasing to know you found it enjoyable!

      Delete
  6. Wow, I don't often see you really dislike a book so if you didn't like then I'm fairly certain I definitely wouldn't like it :D Oh well, bad books make the good books all the better, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of thinking that, too- I read three books in a row which I really didn't enjoy, and went on to read some fantastic ones! (I'm still totally confused about the cover model for this, though- she looks SO SIMILAR to Chloe Moretz.)

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x