Monday, August 12, 2013

Books for when you're... (10)



Each fortnight I will showcase 1-2 books that I think would be fantastic reading if you're going through a  certian emotion/stage in your life.

Wanting to experience a particular season that may not coincide with your current one- 
Winter Edition.
There are times when, perhaps in the middle of summer, you just want it to be a different season. Now, I have no idea how to magically make it autumn when it is in fact spring, but I know that a book is the perfect thing to make it seem like it is in fact a little chillier than the weather is letting on.


Neversink - Barry Wolverton.
Why I chose this book:
Neversink is such a wonderful, fun story and being set in the Arctic means that it's a pretty cooling one, too- though look at that cover, there's green and a hummingbird, so don't for a moment think you're in for ice, ice, ice. Also, there is a Walrus called Egbert who is excellent, and funny. I think everyone should get to know him.


Northern Lights - Philip Pullman.

Why I chose this book:
This, the first book, is set in a very icy landscape and has such a wintery feel to it that is was, for me, a no brainer. I read the series last year and found it so incredible, and I love that it doesn't have this cold weather feeling constantly throughout the series. The last book, in particular, is pretty summery for example.
If you haven't read it, this is a beautiful and intricately told book- it's hefty, but so engaging that you don't notice it.


Alaska - Sue Saliba.
Why I chose this book:
Set during an Alaskan winter, this is really one of the most perfect books to read when you're wanting it to seem nice and cold. Sometimes I worry that the season, if it's winter in particular, will overwhelm the story, but at least with these three it doesn't- it's just a beautiful addition.
Alaska is a really beautiful story, written in such a delicate way- it is for a slightly older YA audience, if I remember correctly, but it's such a wonderful quick read and has such an astonishing cover (it's slightly shiney and white like that all round) and would be a high recommendation- winter or not.



Stay tuned for some more bookish suggestions for the good times, and the bad.
So far I've covered-

10 comments:

  1. I loved the movie from the Golden compass, so I guess I need to read the books once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You absolutely have to! The books are about ten times as fantastic as the movie, which I also loved- I rewatched it after reading the first book, actually, and liked it a little less because it cuts out an awful lot and, as movies are prone to do, simplifies the plot. It made me a little sad, but the actors are tops!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh my isn't it beautiful? I'm still in awe of it and can't wait until it's on display on my bookshelf a little more prominently- it's going to be beautiful! It has a wonderful texture, too.

      Delete
  3. I must read Alaska, it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really thought provoking and written so beautifully- I'm sure you'll really enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. I was for sure thinking you would put Dash and Lily's Book of Dares because it gave me that wintry and festivity feeling to it all around. But the books you chose are absolutely amazing. I read The Golden Compass and I liked it much better than the movie but I didn't feel the urge to finish the series even though i pass by cheap copies of the second book all the time. The first just didn't impress me that much.

    And the mention of Alaska of course it's for wintry-ness the cover makes me just adore it already. I love beautiful writing. <3 Aussies just have a way with words that make me look up to where you live. ^^ I bet you are going to be just as an amazing writer as all those fabulous Aussie writers out there. :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dash and Lily is actually coming up in my next Books for When You're post, and I think as soon as you see the title you'll understand why! (: I did consider adding it, but then I decided on these three because they're a little more constant with the winter, whereas it seeps away, as with the melting of the snow, in D&L, and I didn't want that.
      The third Golden Compass (or Northern Lights, as the book is titled) book is my favourite, the second my least. I adore the whole series, but after finishing the first I needed to keep reading, so maybe if you didn't feel that urge it's not for you.

      Delaney that's SO NICE OF YOU! You say the kindest things! x

      Delete
  5. This is such a cool idea!!
    ~Oh how I yearn for cold weather right now....
    Also, I am LOVING the cover of Alaska! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joie! If you decide to get into the winter spirit by reading one of these, I hope they work well!
      Oh, I know! Alaska is such a beautiful read, design and all.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x