Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Poison by Bridgit Zinn.

Title- Poison.
Author- Bridgit Zinn.
Publish date- March 2013.
Publisher- Hyperon.


Review...


What I thought:
Poison is, without a doubt, one of the best books that I've read this year- with intrigue, an array of exciting, lovable and fantastical characters, and a plot that is constantly captivating, there is never a dull moment.
I found myself going through a lot of different emotions whilst reading, from amused to fascinated, happy to awed- the writing is consistent and addictive, and it is a story that will stick with me for a long time.

I was immediately intrigued by Kyra, the protagonist who is on the run from her Kingdom for trying to kill her best friend- the princess. She is smart and witty, desperate and lovable, and despite being in hiding she doesn't give up on the job she has to do and doesn't lose sight of what she believes in, even though she is hated and feared by all.

I loved finding out her story and whenever there was a new revelation I was full of amazement at how wonderfully, and seamlessly, it was crafted. Following Kyra's potion-er background, and present, was wonderful; I loved how deft she was at the art and the pride she felt at her skills.
Another thing I really appreciated was Kyra and another character's love/hate relationship- it really gave a natural feeling to the story, though I did (as did she) wonder at how easily she trusted him, after being on edge for so long.

The conclusion to the story was brilliant, I thought, and I know that I will revisit it many more times.

Review: Big explosion MIND BLOWN/Excellent.
I loved this story so much and really appreciated the wonderful, intricate storyline and the ease I had entering the world. I cannot wait to share the book with many others!

15 comments:

  1. I COMPLETELY AGREE! This book just blew me away and became one of my favorites of 2013. Kyra was a great character and I loved all the characters. Especially Rosie the Piggie and Fred! (or was it Frank?) Anyways, I'm so sad this will only be a standalone :'(

    -Ariella @ Secrets of Lost Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just squee every time I think of it, because it's just SO GREAT- the characters and the plot... it was all so wonderful and intriguing! I am DEFINITELY going to be re-reading soon.
      I'm thrilled you liked it, too!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! I'm p sure I would have loved this book when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that, too (though I hope that means you didn't dislike it?) - it's like Coraline, a book which I so wish I had read as a 12 year old because it would have so changed me and prepared me in a way the books I read at the time didn't really, but I still loved it so much. I would have loved it around the time I first read Inkheart, I think.

      Delete
  3. Kyra sounds like my sort of character. This book, in fact, sounds like my sort of book. I'm really glad you enjoyed it, Romi! I bought a copy a while back but haven't yet had a chance to pick it up. It looks like I'll definitely have to make some time for it soon. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly suggest you open it up and begin, Sam, because I'm absolutely sure you're going to really love it! I can't recommend it enough, and it's a really lovely read- so different from other books I've read recently. Hope you enjoy! (:

      Delete
  4. AHHH THIS SOUNDS SO AWESOME! I remember you told me to get it but I was like "Maaaaaybe I'll read it, cause Romi said to" ( ̄へ ̄)Yeah, now you have convinced me to go and actually get it. Get my lazy Asian butt up and get it. NOOoo school is stopping me from that. TT ___ TT Ahh dang it, I was so happy then school popped up in my head. Ahh darn--but I will get this book! I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT IS! Yes, you have to get the book when you next have cash and free time. Read it over a weekend and revel in the beauty and fantastical story, which I have no doubt you, too, will adore. Tell me when you read it, okay?

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. ISN'T IT FANTASTIC? I was so keen to read it after your amazing review! (: I can't wait to re-read already.

      Delete
  6. Oooooh! It reminds me a little bit of a Maria V Snyder book for a younger audience. I shall def add it to the list. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do that, Lauren, and I assure you you won't regret it. ( :
      I've never actually read any Maria V Snyder- I tried one once, but didn't like it... this probably isn't helping.

      Delete
  7. Ooh, you have made this sound so, so good. I must crack open my library copy soon, I love the idea behind this one and Kyra sounds like a great protagonist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you haven't read it yet! I certainly recommend you get to it soon, because it is just amazing and wonderful and so, so grand! Kyra is definitely one of my favourite protagonists of all time- she's very admirable.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x