Monday, September 16, 2013

Books for when you're... (12)




Wanting to weep unashamedly.
(*Spoilers almost certainly present*)
I myself am not one to weep when it comes to written or televised things. I have only ever actually shed read tears which went down my cheeks and all during one film and one christmas special for a certain BBC series, and that last one was mostly horrified laughter mixed with disbeieving tears, so it hardly counts. Bookwise, it's only ever happened twice, maybe three times- once on a re-read this year and once when reading a book last year. Those three books are the features. Tear ducts- be ready.



Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling.
Why I chose this book:
(Remember that spoiler warning- that is still a thing)
So this is my favourite book of the Harry Potter series. It has incredibly wonderful characters introduced and splendid scenes, it's (I think) the longest and has such a powerful scene towards the end that just really gets me in the oh-my-I'm-crying-now-aren't-I places. Luna is introduced and Sirius is taken away; her introduction is the game maker for me (I'm going to pretend I know what that even means), but the scene where Sirius dies is just... it's so moving and well written and it just makes me so overwhelmed that I may have partially sobbed when I read it. Silent sobbing, of course. I had to be able to keep reading.


Love Aubrey - Suzanne LaFleur. 
Why I chose this book:
I re-read this a few months ago and, as I said in my review, I had such a different experience this time around- I understood things in different ways and just felt so very moved, in such a different way than I had previously been. Aubrey's story is a very moving one and it's got so many scenes where you just begin to slowly choke up. It's inevitable.


Black Heart Blue - Louisa Reid.
Why I chose this book:
This is such an incredibly tear worthy book. It's not a nice one, the story is horribly sad and so, so real, that is just makes it so much more painful. It's a very difficult read because of how personal it seems, how it seems like you're reading about such true to life experiences. It's really well done, but dreadfully sad.



Stay tuned for some more bookish suggestions for the good times, and the bad.
So far I've covered-

10 comments:

  1. Order of the phoenix <3 I think my favorite book from HP!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely my favourite- Luna sells it for me, she's such a wonderful character. ( :

      Delete
  2. Oh definitely, Harry Potter. The last three I think I just sobbed and sobbed. Haven't heard of the others but I will be looking into them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, well I hope you enjoy them, Alise! I highly recommend both Love Aubrey and Black Heart Blue. The Order of the Phoenix is my favourite HP!

      Delete
  3. I am not much of a crier either. I don't actually tear up all snot nosed messyness all over the place, ususally its just a little tearing up. But that still counts rght?

    I still need to check out Harry Potter and Love, Audrey sounds--considering how much praise you have given it. I have not heard of Black Heart Blue though so im going to see what that ones about.

    Oh and I recommend Jellicoe Road the endinv left me tearing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I cry in books (well, when reading books to be more accurate) I don't sob or loudly cry or anything like that, it's generally just a few silent tears. Romi, the silent crier.

      I didn't think you thought HP sounded like your thing? I highly recommend it, personally- don't worry if you don't like it, though. Love Aubrey is beautiful- I recomment all three of these books!

      My sister's been trying to get me to read that for ages! I'm definitely going to check it out, but I'm not keen on overly Australian themes in books, so I don't know if I'm going to like it.

      Delete
  4. Sirius *sobs* I really cry over books, but I'm pretty sure that Black Heart Blue would make me cry buckets easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Black Heart Blue is really an emotional ride, but it really is wonderful and deals with horrible situations in a really intense way. I'm very glad I read it, even if it was emotional for me.

      Delete
  5. I think I was too much in shock to sob over OotP. But I did cry. There are no words for Deathly Hallows.

    But a book that I know that made me really ugly cry was Welcome to Rosie Hopkins Sweetshop of Dreams by Jenny Colgan. I was ugly crying for the entire second half of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deathly Hallows is incredibly (heart) wrending, but OotP is still the most OH HELP ME for me. It was terrible. HOW? Just HOW.

      I am going to look into that book- a book with such an intriguing title makes for interesting reading, I am without doubt.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x