Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Fairytales for Wilde Girls by Allyse Near.

Title- Fairytales for Wilde Girls.
Author- Allyse Near.
Publish date- June 2013.
Publisher- Random House Australia.


Review...


What I thought:
I found this, initially at least (by which I mean for the first 200 pages, or there about- it could actually have been closer to 300 pages of this 420 page book), an incredibly confusing read. I really couldn't find my place in the story for such a long time and as I continued reading and not settling in, I continued to get more and more unenthusiastic about the story.

The story itself was quite hard to find, or maybe understand, the actual plot of; for me it was difficult to see where things were going, and the protagonist, Isola, was quite an unstable character, one I wasn't sure I could trust to keep leading me the right way. When, however, I buckled down and made myself finish the book by a deadline, I soon became intwined and emersed in the story, which is quite twisted and became very compelling.

If I had to describe the story in five words they could be- Dreamlike. Sinister. Harsh. Beautiful. Terrifying.
Similarly, if I described all of the characters in only five words they would be: Are they all alive? No.

Nor are they all particularly likable, apart from a creature called Bunny and a boy called Edgar.
Isola and her princes- a fury, revengeful mermaid, a faerie and two ghosts who have all come together to protect and love Isola as brothers in a fairytale she admires- are difficult and often terrifying characters, ones who have uneasy pasts and, for a lot of them, brutal presents.

One thing that doesn't dissipate in the way my initial dislike for this book did is a very brief scene- at one point Isola is at a dress up party and I was unsatisfied when she is quoted as scribbling words in "whore-red lipstick"- is that a readily available shade, or...?

I was certainly surprised when I found myself starting to flow with the story, a thing I hadn't expected by that time, but I think it was worth the difficult beginning to get to that stage. I was really blown away by the book, if primarily the latter half, and have plans for it tto stay in my bookshelf for a long time.

Rating: Ooh, very good/Excellent.
It took time getting me there, but once I found myself taken in by the dark story it was such an incredibly experience. Beautiful and haunting.


Thank you to Random House Australia for this review copy!

8 comments:

  1. I'll keep in mind that it might takes some time to get into the story, but I really love the sound of it. To be honest, the 'fairytale' in the title is more than enough to make me want to read this book, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having Fairytale in the title is an excellent incentive! I'm thinking you'll probably like it- I look forward to seeing a review if you do read it (and decide to write one)! I'd love to hear what you think, as it's become a favourite of mine. It's very unusual and unique.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that "whore-red" isn't a readily available shade :P

    Anyways, this book sounds intriguing! Even if it does have a shaky start, I think I would enjoy it. And those characters that you describe seem like characters I would love reading about!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you find your footing in it, it's incredibly beautiful and there's really no getting out of the story- I'm glad I hung on long enough to find that footing, as I would've stopped long before with any other books.
      I hope you do enjoy it, if you read it, Lottie!

      Delete
  3. WOW. This sounds pretty intense. At least that's what i'm getting at. It also sounds pretty creepy too! Somehow a very Grimms feel to it when I read the synopsis. It's very confusing when reading a book that is confusing to write a review so I am glad that you enjoyed the latter half to a good extent. The names of the characters are also very strange makes me think everything is set up for a reason? Hmm.

    P.S. You are reading the Girl who Circumnavigated Fairyland on a Ship of her Own Making (whew that was long)! How are you liking it? I really want to read it so bad! Ugh--I'm crossing fingers for it to be good. All I've hear is great things. ^^

    P.P.S./ P.S.S. How are you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty creepy- I wouldn't be comfortable, I don't think, if it had been any spookier because there were a few scenes that were close on being too spooky for me. I really do not like that kind of thing, but I think overall it was a good balance
      Hmm... I will tell you that Isola is like Isolated, as it is explained in the book. I think it's a pretty name, though a little odd when you add that last bit.

      P.S. I'm actually listening to it on audio, which I need to get back to this week! It is so fantastic and I highly recommend it- I actually won a book competition last week and, even though I'm only a few chapters in, I decided to choose it as my prize, because I can just tell I'll want a copy of it when I'm finished. It is absolutely wonderful! I hope you like it, too!

      P.P.S. I'm pretty sick at the moment, actually- have been for almost a week. It's pretty horrible and the worst I've had a regular cold for a couple of years, but I did enjoy reading your comment, so thank you! How, may I ask, are you, Delaney? I hope you're well. x

      Delete
  4. "There's a dead girl in a birdcage in the woods. That's not unusual." What? It does sound like a confusing book, but I'm glad you got to enjoy it after a while. Beautiful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't make much sense, but I think it's just the phrasing, presumably just talking about the creepiness of Isola's world. Still, sounds strange and doesn't really match up to what happened in the book- that was a one off situation! ( :
      Ooh, thank you Cayce! That's so kind of you and really means a lot.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x