Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Curious Dictionary by Nick Earls and Terry Whidborne.

Title- Word Hunters: The Curious Dictionary #1.
Author- Nick Earls and Terry Whidborne.
Publish date- August 2012.
Publisher- University of Queensland Press.


Review...


What I thought:
There are lots of things about this book that made me excited to read it, but the overwhelming one is that it's about words.
I adore words- finding out names and meanings of new ones, word etymology and through I am not a frequent visitor of them, dictionaries fill me with such a delightful sense of joy. And hope, too. As soon as I heard about Word Hunters I was sold- it has a really neat cover to boot- because it is all those things and more and I was sure joy would spring forth, that a new love was about to be acquired.

Unfortunately... that's not quite how it went.
I was expecting something that, though being a MG read, would appeal to more than a single audience- a series of unfortunate events style- but that wasn't so.

The two main characters were very irritating and fairly clueless, and they just did things that made no sense, picked up on very obvious things at a painfully slow rate and practifcally from the beginning I found it really hard to follow the story with the siblings narrating.

The pace of the book was quite awkward for me, too- there are (this is possibly a spoiler, so watch out) multiple adventures in the single book, and in each adventure to save a different word the characters would go through three-four different time periods, which was very interesting but the characters only stayed in one time/place for around 10-20 pages, which gave hardly any time to settle in.

The etymology was pretty interesting, though- for me, at least, though I can't say the same for the characters- but it was fairly basic and I would've liked a little more detail and background in each section.

Rating: Oh nooo/Poor.
Overall this was really not the book for me. I have no desire to continue the series, but if readers can enjoy the two protagonists dialouge/narrating , I think this is a great introduction to a further keenness in learning about words and all that etymological jazz.

Thank you to UQP for this review copy!

10 comments:

  1. It's a shame that the adventures aren't more explored, because that could turn out great. I like the cover, but I think I will stay away :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such an incredible cover- it just speaks "amazing adventure!" I really hoped for more, especially as it sounds just like my kind of thing, so I'm sad it didn't work out.

      Delete
  2. Well, the cover is fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just wonderful? I would actually love to have that as a piece of artwork- it inspires the imagination.

      Delete
  3. With MG novels, I have to have a strong cast of characters to keep me interesting and the characters in this do not sound good at all. Hope your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a large array of MG books lined up on my shelf for the holidays, so I think I've got a good array to read soon. Thank you, Alise!

      Delete
  4. I was definitely expecting more for you to love this since the synopsis sounded so great! Middle grade books are supposed to have a very variety appeal. So then you can find something special even if you aren't 12 years old anymore. Having poor main character qualities also sucks about that. Bah! Not interested in giving this a go. Though, the concept sounded interesting, everything else didn't seem to live up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does sound just like my kind of thing, doesn't it? I can defintely see how some readers would like it, but it ended up being a big disappointment for me (apart from the cover, which is gorgeous!) I was hoping more for adventure and characters who would embrace that, so it was definitely not what I hoped.
      Thanks for commenting, Delaney!

      Delete
  5. Oh I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I've seen this book at work and I like the cover of it, but I will give it a miss :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren- it does have a really wonderful cover, and I'd been pretty excited for it, so I'm still a little sad that it didn't work out.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x