Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The First Third by Will Kostakis.

Title- The First Third.
Author- Will Kostakis.
Publish date- July 2013.
Publisher- Penguin AU.


Review...



What I thought:
The First Third is an interesting story about a young man who has to take on his grandmothers bucket list for her when she becomes hospitalised; it's an original story with thought-provoking themes- to me personally the most interesting was the gradual separation of family, due, in large, just to the progression of time- yet even with these alluring themes, The First Third didn't work out all that well for me.

For the most part the book semed to really just plod along, not really bringing me into the story at any one time, which left me almost completely unbothered by the things that transpired in it's latter half.
The characters didn't help this. Bill, the protagonist, frustrated me quite a lot, despite his good intentions; he did end up deciding to sacrifice things for his family, showing just how much he would truly do to bring everyone back together, but to me it didn't seem as if that was the only way. It might have helped, but he made a huge sacrifice and I really was more annoyed by his choice than inspired.

A couple of other characters are dotted about, but between the lot of them (and these the most consistently mentioned)- Bill's: mother, two older brothers, best friend, and Yiayia- I only really warmed to his grandmother, or Yiayia; with her amusing sayings, which become instant anecdotal fodder for Bill, she shone out as the star of the book, and if she had been the most prominent character I would no doubt have liked this one all the time.

One part which left me incredibly confused was when Lucas, or Sticks- Bill's best friend- suddenly starts talking about how he is gay, when (or so I recall) it hadn't even been hinted at prior to that. It was the basis for a really important conversation between the two friends and having had no heads up made it pretty confusing- Bill's older brother, for example, is also gay and that was a topic that came around numerous times.

Finally, I close with this: there is a character called "Sargent Cockburn."
The "ck" is silent.

Rating: Whatever comes in between Poor and Oh Nooo....
To pick my three favourite things about the book is an easy task-
Title, Cover, Greek-Grandmother.
Unfortunately, these don't feature more than, at a stretch, 30% of the time.



Thank you to Penguin Australia for this review copy!

4 comments:

  1. Hm, I'm not sure I'd enjoy this book, but Cockburn!!! LOL. That's definitely a last name I'd change asap, if it were me :D Btw, I like the cover and title too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was certainly one of the most amusing things, and the short time of banter between Bill and the Sargent was very amusing- it would have been excellent if he'd become a focal character!
      The only thing is that the hand doesn't really make any sense, on the cover, though it does make it stand out a little more. (:

      Delete
  2. BAHA! I feel like the author should just take the ck out if it's silent then LOL. I love the concept behind this one, with the bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was supposed to be a kind of sore point for the Sargent, who would have to "tell off those troublesome kids" everytime they used his name against him. Whether or not it actually did have a silent ck, but it was what the character claimed! (:
      If you read it, I hope you enjoy!

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x