Thursday, October 24, 2013

A Cautionary Tail by Erica Harrison.

Title- A Cautionary Tail.
Author- Erica Harrison.
Publish date- August 2013.
Publisher- Penguin Australia (Viking)


Review...

What I thought:
I became really interested in the film not too long ago (it was a kickstarter funded film, and the book is made from that, using stills from the film!) and amid the eager anticipation for it's release I found out that there was a picture book. I was instantly intrigued.
This is one of the first picture books I have read that has felt so incredibly versatile as to reach out to more than one or two age groups- this spoke to my youngest self, my ten year old self, my youth self, and my future selves.

It's the incredibly moving story of a little girl who gives up the thing that once gave her so much joy, but in the end only pain, and it is a story I was able to easily relate to, and suspect the same for many others.

It was both joyous and sad, feelings that were represented by the animated stills throughout- art that is not always the most nice, but is the most true.

Rating: Ooh, very good.
A very powerful book that I would recommend with little hesitation. My only real problem was that occasionally I didn't feel like the words fit or made sense- being verse it stuck out when it didn't work.


Thank you to Penguin Australia for this review copy!

8 comments:

  1. This looks really cute. I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really thought-provoking- I hope you enjoy, Sonia!

      Delete
  2. Aww this does sound like very wide-range of age groups. And there is a movie?! I will have to check that out. So glad you enjoyed it very much, Romi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually not quite out yet, and a short film, so probably 15 minutes long. You might have a bit of trouble finding it outside Australia, too, but best of luck!

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've come across this before (neither the picture book or the movie), but it sounds like a really inspiring read. I like the thought of the stills inside too. I'm glad you were impressed, Romi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! I think you'd probably like this- it's very thought provoking and interesting.

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a very sweet read, and something that readers of all ages can enjoy and relate to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It defnitely has important messags for all ages- I think it would be a great book to read to young children, especially, because it's full of very important subjects.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x