Monday, November 18, 2013

Books for when you're... (13)



Each fortnight (ha!) I will showcase 1-2 books that I think would be fantastic reading if you're going through a  certian emotion/stage in your life.

Wanting to experience unusual magic.
There are lots of books that have magic in them, but quite a lot of those books have a similar kind of magic, and so, this week, I'm focusing on a different style.


Otto and the Flying Twins - Charlotte Haptie.
Why I chose this book:
I has the first two books in this series read to me, in my childhood, and they were a series my family loved! I bought the final book when I was away, but never got very far into it until last year, when I re-read the whole series. The books are, aside from everything else, spectacular. The people in this world are all supposed to be normal, and you're seen as dirty and scum and made a spectacle of if you're anything other than that- there's a police force to make sure no one acts odd, and yet... there is such magic and beauty and flying twins, magic carpets, magical folk who are in hiding. There is mystery and a race against time, and it is one of the best series' I've ever read.

Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas
Why I chose this book:
Magic is an underlying theme in Throne of Glass (and, I hope, the sequel), and it's of the kind where you summon spirits (good or bad) to help or hinder, where otherworldly creatures come, where people do sinister things to gain power. Then there's the kind of magic that keeps you safe, spirits who know when you are in true need of help, and give it. I liked this kind of magic a lot. Also, this is a very good book, besides.


8 comments:

  1. I'm already a big fan of Throne of Glass, but I don't think I've heard of Otto and the Flying Twins before. It sounds fantastic though, so I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks for sharing, Romi! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to hear that, Sam! It's a really incredible series and it is certainly one of a kind. I'm sure you'll really enjoy the books, when you read them!

      Delete
  2. I read Throne of Glass a long time ago and really loved it! I keep forgetting to read the rest of the series. I'll be sure to check out the first one you mentioned, Romi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic and I'm sure you'll love it! I'm thrilled to have been able to introduce you to this new series- it's fantastic, I assure you.

      I am actually about 20 pages into the second ToG book, but I'm so busy with writing and other things that I have been stuck there for a good few weeks. I'm going on a plane trip at the end of the week, though, so good time to read it!

      Delete
  3. Ooh yes, Throne of Glass is really good--but CoM is TONNES better!

    Thanks for sharing! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled to hear that, because I adored the first book and am a couple of pages into Crown of Midnight and shall be reading it on the plane Sunday morning, so I'm doubly excited! Thanks, Melanie!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, I haven't yet read Throne of Glass but I actually had no idea the magic in there was so unique. I'm really excited to read it, I hear it's great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's truly fantastic, Alise, and I'm sure you'll really enjoy it! Crown of Midnight, the sequel, is next up to read!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! SQUEEEEE. E. E.


I reply to all comments, in case you were wondering.
Also, I've been putting Word Verification on and off and it's currently on because I turned it off on a friday and had seven spam comments on a Monday which is not good.