Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Fortunately... the milk by Neil Gaiman.


Title- Fortunately... the milk.
Author- Neil Gaiman.
Publish date- September 2013.
Publisher- Bloomsbury.


Review...


What I thought:
This is such an unbelieveably strange book, full of the incredible creativity that comes from Chris Riddell's wonderous illustration and Neil Gaiman's ever expanding creative genius, but whislt I felt enlivened by my reading experience, I also felt like it was just a little too much.
There were Wumpires, talking-inventor-dinosaurs, time travel, aliens who wanted to re-decorate earth (in a way that felt like a nod to The Hitchhikers Guide) and Pirates, and that would only be the beginning; so much crammed into such a short space, it felt like so much was trying to be squeezed in, and it made the story not so brilliant as it could have been, for me, at least.

There were a lot of things I did really like about this book, though, including:

Chris Riddell being the incredible illustrator that he is, taking the book to a whole new level with his art.

Neil Gaiman being called a Ridiculously Bestselling Author on the cover.

The Formatting of the words, art, ect.- there were two pages, when the characters were in pitch darkness, that were black with white text. That I loved.

The jungle gods and how time travel was incorperated into that storyline most amusingly.

The wumpire who had a quiff.

The brightly coloured ponies.

Rating: The dangerous territory between Hmm... and Ooh, Very Good.
I decree that, while I didn't have an incredible time reading it by myself, I will very much enjoy reading it, with voices and inflections, to my niece- I think it's the perfect book for such a time.



Thank you to Bloomsbury for this review copy!

12 comments:

  1. This book looks so cute! :D Overwhelming, but cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should've added that I read it aloud to my niece and it was so much fun- I enjoyed that reading experience a lot more than my private one.

      Delete
  2. This sounds cute, probably too cute for me, but perfect for little kids :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh but it's not cute! There are Wumpires, dinosaur-police, green globby things that want to take over the world! There is horror and deviousness and... milk. ( :

      Delete
  3. Honestly... I don't know. I am a little nervous to read Gaiman again. I love him and hate him! I couldn't stand American Gods but loved Graveyard Book! I couldn't stand Sandman but loved Neverwhere. I just don't know!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read two, now, though I'm reading Stardust over christmas-time, and hope to listen to The Graveyard book on audio soon! I haven't gotten into his graphic novels quite so much, though, but that's because they're a little too graphic (art-wise, mostly) for me. Maybe later.

      Delete
  4. This seems rather fun for a Gaiman book!

    Thanks for sharing! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so great, reading it aloud the second time- I got to do voices and it was, all round, just the best!

      Delete
  5. A pale and interesting Edward? Ha! That made me laugh. :D This does sound like a fun little book, even if some of it was a bit too much. Though I think I'm more curious about Chris Riddell's illustrations than anything else. Thanks for the review, Romi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me laugh, too. A lot. ( :

      Ah, Chris Riddell is actually one of my all time favourite illustrators! He's done so much work that I'm totally in awe of, and I just adore the detail with which he does each illustration.

      Delete
  6. I saw this one at Barnes and Noble and if it was a little thicker in size I would have got it, because it's so thin, I felt like it would have been a waste of money…now I am regretting that choice, actually…Gosh that title sounds so quirky, I am a total fan for Gaiman…even if I haven't read any books by him--but I want to read so many by him. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me smile- being a total fan but not having read him. I understand what you mean entirely, though, so don't fret. I've only ever read one of her short stories, but I adore Maureen Johnson's writing! I really love her work, and must read more of it soon.

      Also, it's got a really great cover- so great in person.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x