Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Cathrynne M. Valente.

Title- The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making.
Author- Cathrynne M. Valente.
Publish date- 2011.
Publisher- Square Fish.


Review...


What I thought:
I listened to this book on audio. Before I was three discs in, I chose the book itself when I won a "book of your choice" from TBD.
Within two weeks of finishing this, I bought the audiobook, too.

Because to talk about this book in full sentences would ruin me, here is an odd list of things I love about it, and an even list of things I didn't.

I loved:
1. The absolutely incredible, mind-blowingly beautiful storyline featuring September, my bookish best friend and perhaps favourite character of all time.

2. There are characters who were sad and lost and hurt, but still fought and lived and waited; the fact that September knows she is in no way perfect, that she makes mistakes, is really important to me. She is drawn in by beautiful things and can be unthinking, but-

3. her kindnes, love and loyalty for her friends and the ones she loves so very dearly is of a calibre I only wish I could show, myself. 

4. She is delightfully eloquent and pragmatic, and I wish she and I could be alike at all times in that way.

5. Cathrynne M. Valente has the most exquisite and perfect voice for reading this story. She is the voice of September for me.

6. The character's all have absolutely lovely names.

7. When I listened to this book, I felt like I had entered a world that was so special and one of a kind- maybe one that was just for me- that I never wanted to leave it.


I didn't like:

1. Cathrynne M. Valente doesn't read the second audiobook.

2. I took to long to get to it.


(0.5 neither here nor there notes)

0.5 I don't have a rating that I can use for this.

10 comments:

  1. Haha more PROs then CONs! September oh gosh, she sounds like an amazing character to read about. I always love well developed characters that just seem so real you just have to reach out and there they'll be.

    I don't actually listen to audiobook, I'm scared they'll make me go to sleep because it reminds me of teachers reading you a story. It doesn't matter how good they do it, it just makes me sleepy.

    P.S. Yes I have done Nano before. Last year was my first, but considering that i don't have much time this year and school wears me out most days, I am going to take a break this year. Maybe I will do it next year. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always more pros than cons, and right off I can guarentee that September is a beautiful, one of a kind character. I've never found anyone quite like her, and she seems to encompass so many things that I love.

      I almost always have to listen to something when I'm falling asleep, so I listened to the audio of this most nights and just went back, the next day, to whatever I'd missed. I've grown up with audiobooks, and love doing stuff throughout the day whilst having a story told to me.

      Delete
  2. This really does sound like an interesting story. I like the thought of fairyland and it's great that you have both versions now. But having a different narrator for the second audiobook would be frustrating. Great list of pros :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping this means you're going to seek it out, because that is something I highly, highly recommend doing. It's absolutely fantastic, and don't be fooled- fairyland is not a light hearted place. There is darkness aplenty, despite it's... innocent name.

      Delete
  3. I have been wanting to read this for a long time now. I really need to make the time to do it. Looks really good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So had I, only I wish I hadn't taken so long to finally get my hands on a copy. It was well, well worth the wait- I hope you have a similar, thrilling experience with this story!

      Delete
  4. September! I love that name! And she sounds like such an amazing character. Plus a "boy named Saturday"!!! He sounds interesting too :)

    I have seen this book around quite a lot (people seem to love it), so even though I don't really like its super long title, I still might check it out someday. Great list style review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. September and Saturday make a very enthralling pair, not to mention all the other characters. They all have such unique and interesting characteristics and stories, even if they're only in the story for a chapter or two. The detail is so beautiful.

      Thank you, Cayce! I do hope you read/listen to it one day!

      Delete
  5. Just read the synopsis and-- aww, September and Saturday! Those two names sound adorable and lovely together ^_^ I hope that they are friends in this book, haha. I've really been wanting to read this book ever since you recommended it to me, and this review is only increasing my wanting of it.

    The story sounds absolutely dazzling and the world of Fairyland seems gorgeous... Definitely the kind of land I would like to circumnavigate in a ship of my own making ;) Oh, and September! She sounds like a beautifully written character.

    "Cathrynne M. Valente has the most exquisite and perfect voice for reading this story. She is the voice of September for me." <--- When an author is able to do that, it's pretty obvious that she is quite talented, no?

    Beautiful review, Romi! I'm not sure if I should get the audiobook or physical book, though. Decisions, decisions... >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope, if you haven't yet, you get a chance to read it soon- it's so beautiful and wonderous, Lesley.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! SQUEEEEE. E. E.


I reply to all comments, in case you were wondering.
Also, I've been putting Word Verification on and off and it's currently on because I turned it off on a friday and had seven spam comments on a Monday which is not good.