Friday, March 28, 2014

Double on Call and other stories by John Green...


Title- Double on Call.
Author- John Green.
Publish date- 2013
Publisher-?


Review  time...

(A brief) Synopsis:
A selection of short stories featuring a chaplain in a childrens hospital and a girl who appears to be living a very peculiar life. Made available as part of the P4A 2012.


What I thought:
It  took  me  around  eight  or  nine  months  to  finally  read  this  after  I  first  bought  it  in  2012,  and  when  I  did  I  found  it  extremely  interesting.  It  contains  three  short  stories,  all  slightly  different  but  with  a  similar  vein  running  through  each-  a  young  chaplain  working  in  a  childrens  hospital.
Each  story  had  a  layer  of  painful  reality  threaded  through  it,  and  the  detached  way  the  narrator  witnessed  and  spoke  of  these  horrible  tragedies,  almost  in  a  time  worn  way,  was  a  little  discomforting.

Whilst  I  didn't  like  the  stories,  as  such,  and  doubt  I'd  have  gotten  through  any  as  an  entire  novel,  I  found  myself  really  interested  by  the  writing  process,  the  changes  that  were  made  over  each  take.  I  appreciated  seeing  that,  and  it  made  me  appreciate  the  stories  more.

Rating:  Hmm...
I  certainly  didn't  love  any  of  it,  but  it  was  jolly  interesting  and  I  think  that  made  it  well  worth  the  read.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of his books. I'm not sure I'm convinced that I'm going to either. I will go see the cancer movie though I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love it when I get, like, four comments from you within an hour or two. It's very nice and I don't think I've ever said. THANK YOU, LAUREN.x

      I've read two (Alaska and TFiOS) and enjoyed both quite a bit, and am reading another within the next fortnight, if all goes to plan, but they're not for everyone and I can understand if you don't think they'd be for you. Maybe going to see the movie about STARS will change your mind, maybe it won't. WE WILL SEE.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x