Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Girls, Goddessess and Giants by Lari Don...


Title- Girls, Goddesses and Giants.
Author- Lari Don.
Publish date- 2013.
Publisher- Bloomsbury.
RRP: $22.99 (Hardback) AUD.

(Goodreads)


Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
A collection of myths, legends and folktales in which the women save themselves from trickery, misfortune and getting second best.


Image Credit: Bloomsbury AU.

What I thought:
All too often I'll find a fairytale (I'm partial to them, whether they be of the bookish or visual kind) that just doesn't have a female character I can look up to, a heroine who is a well rounded role model- often they play a relatively small part, or are left to rely on someone else saving them in dire circumstances, and that is why I was so drawn to this collection, and it proved itself to be great! I found lots of heroines who could be devious and kill to reach their goal- it was quite different from anything I'd seen in a fairytale (these are legends, folktales and myths, by the way, though they do carry a similar feel) before.

And perhaps my favourite thing about this book? I definitely wouldn't say that each women at the head of their story is typically "good", because that's not ever the point. The point is that they don't have to reply on another at the last moment and to me that is so, so important.

I found every now and then that the rewording was too modern for these stories, with common phrases switched so as to be more easily understandable to a different generation, but it ended up feeling quite awkward and disrupted the feelling and flow of the story.

Rating: A little lower than Ooh, very good, though not Hmm...
My main problem was the rewording, but apart from that  really enjoyed finding these old stories from across the world, tales full of good deeds and bad, with underlying morals as per tradition, and I look forward to revisiting them in the future.

Thank you to Bloomsbury for this review copy!

2 comments:

  1. I like how this book is really about women and how they are saving themselves, instead of waiting for the guy to swoop in :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Mel- it's such a positive thing for people to read, believe in and persue, even if it ought to be quite a day to day occurance in life, literateure, films.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x