Monday, March 31, 2014

Severed Heads, Broken Hearts by Robyn Schneider.


Title- Severed Heads, Broken Hearts. (The End of Everything in other countries.)
Author- Robyn Schneider.
Publish date- September 2013.
Publisher- Simon and Schuster.
RRP: $16.99 AUD.


Review time...


(A brief) Synopsis:
Ezra believes you have one tragedy waiting for you. He has his. Then he thinks that's it. But... what if you can't tell when tragedy might strike? What if it's not as predictable as he thinks?

Image Credit: Simon and Schuster AU.

What I thought:
The main reason that Severed Heads, Broken Hearts fell flat for me was that it didn't feel all that real. It's full of topics and characters, things that are real enough, but I just didn't ever care for the people this story featured, feel anything for them- it was a very detached experience for me, unfortunately, and though I read it in two days, I didn't really enjoy it at all. A week after finishing it (when review was written...) and my memory has dulled the storyline already. I remember it well enough, but it just feels empty, in a way. Lifeless.

Ezra, the protagonist, speaks from a distance as he narrates the story, starting from his tragedy and explaining things from afar, and though I did wonder once or twice at how he mentioned seeing seeing things coming, I didn't really wonder about it overly. Ezra is, I think, supposed to be a character that you take to heart- if there's one in the whole book, I think it is supposed to be him, but for me I couldn't help but dislike him and his pettiness, and Cassidy- confusing, inconstant Cassidy- was the one I was drawn to. Even by the end I liked her much more than him.

Something that perplexed (and to a certain extend frustrated) me was that both blurbs on the book refernce John Green's work, and though there is a similarity in the speech and use of particular words from Ezra and a few of the other characters, there is nothing else that I could see that links them, which bothered me and made me look for reasons as to why it could be.

Severed Heads, Broken Hearts, whilst it has an interesting premise, didn't end up being a favourite for me- rather it feels a little forgettable. I had anticipated more.

Rating: Whatever comes between Poor and Oh Nooo...
Sadly not for me; though I do think a lot of people enjoy it, I wouldn't personally recommend.

Thank you to Simon and Schuster for this review copy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I kinda wanted to check this one out but lifeless?? That doesn't sound promising... Think I'll skip this one after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel sorry for putting you off, Cayce! Though I couldn't honestly recommend it to you, either.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x