Monday, March 10, 2014

Sylvia Plath: Drawings by Frieda Hughes...


Title- Sylvia Plath: Drawings.
Author- Frieda Hughes, Sylvia Plath.
Publish date- 2013.
Publisher- Faber.
RRP: $29.99AUD


(A brief) synopsis:
A collection of Sylvia Plath's unique art, including letters in which she speaks of her drawing, compiled by her daughter, Frieda Hughes.

Image care of: Allen and Unwin.

What I thought:
This is a beautiful book- with or without dustcover, it fills me with yearning to open it and explore, to look upon the detailed drawings of Sylvia Plath and to read the letters- such an important part of this book- in which she describes her pieces, the inspiration behind a certain sketch, the hopes she has for her future art. It is a book that resonates with love and care for the work being done, and at times I was almost too inspired to get out my own notebook and draw, which I resisted, though it was hard to sit still.

Though it's relatively short, when it comes to words at least, this book felt no less like I was being told a story than if I had been reading a novel;  it's a different story to many I read, but an excellent one none  the less, and I heartily enjoyed the experience.

It wasn't really until afterwards that I understood just how important the letters included in this book were- it would still be a very beautiful book without them, but with I am filled with a great appreciation, because now I know the story behind so many of the pieces featured, and that feels very... it feels like I've been given something very delicate and special to look after.

This is a absolutely stunning book, perfect to pick up and read little by little, or all at once.

Rating: Ooh, very good/Excellent.
I love the design of this throughout, but especially the cover- I'm instantly drawn to it, vibrant red, cream white and soft black. It's quite as lovely on the inside, and I'd recommend with little hesitation- even if so you can just see the cover hiding beneath he dust cover, which is truly stunning.

Thank you to Allen and Unwin for this review copy.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, so beautiful! It's been forever since I've read nonfiction but this one sounds really interesting. I love me some "unique art" and it's great that their backstories are included in the book as well. Especially since I sometimes struggle with getting art pieces that are like really UNIQUE :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well even with the simple things, like still life sketches... it was so nice knowing what she felt about the work, why she drew it. It gave a really nice insight- I think you'd probably really enjoy this, Cayce!

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x