Friday, April 11, 2014

A Feature of Pictures (and books!) No. 2


The second on my picture book feature, these are two very different books but they both struck particular chords with me.


Title: Max.
Author: Marc Martin.
Publisher: Penguin Australia. Imprint: Viking.
Publish Date: March 26th, 2014.
RRP: $24.99

Max tells a very sweet story, that of a seagull called Max and a man called Bob who owns a fish and chips shop. The story was both amusing and heartwarming, but it wasn't the written story that I found myself most enraptured by. No, it was the illustrated one.

I felt as if the written story only really covered a small section of things, whereas I could get the same story, and more, from the pictures over each page- there was detail and a certain livliness that the words didn't convey, or so I felt. An added factor, the illustrations just happen to be beautiful and feel like they've come straight from a vintage picture book, and I truly did love this style of drawing- it became the book very well.

So whilst I did enjoy this, I do think I would have been more taken in had it been a silent read, so you only had the pictures and it was up to each individual to tell the story. The words just didn't work as well as that would have.



Image Credit: UQP.





Title: Here in the Garden.
Author: Briony Stewart.
Publisher: UQP.
Publish Date: March 26th, 2014.
RRP: $24.95

Here in the Garden is vying to become one of my new favourite picture books, and I'm sure after a few more reads it'll succeed.

The story is delicate yet powerful and it is heartrending in an almost warm way, because even though it's sad you're still remembering fondly, and I truly loved that.
It did surprise me when I read, before and during my read of the story itself, that the child pictured on the cover was a boy, because I did think it looked more like a short haired girl, and in the story there wasn't anything I saw to suggest otherwise, so specifying a gender, when the story itself did not, felt peculiar.
The illustrations- of the child, the rabbit and the garden are all beautiful, and I just loved the feel they gave the story. Time passing was conveyed, seasons changing was, also, and all done finely.

Altogether I really enjoyed this and would highly recommend, not to mention re-read.


Thank you to Penguin Australia for the review copy of Max!
Thank you to UQP for the review copy of Here in the Garden!


3 comments:

  1. Hey! I just borrowed Max a few weeks ago, but it must have been after I saw this. I was looking at it for storytime but decided it wasn't right for that age group in the end, plus I wasn't a huge fan of the story. I can't remember much about it, I just remember not being overwhelmed with yay about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has such beautiful illustrations, I think. They're very fifties or of an era like that. My sister is seriously coveting my copy for her niece.

      Delete
    2. Her neice? My neice. Spehaw.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x