Friday, April 25, 2014

I, Coriander by Sally Gardner...


Title- I, Coriander.
Author- Sally Gardner.
Publish date- 2007.
Publisher- Puffin.


Review time...

(A brief) Synopsis:
A twisting, haunting and eternally beautiful story in which a young girl must find out the truth of her parents and the courage to fight when her world is shattered.


What I thought:
I read I, Coriander when I was between the ages of eight and eleven, and it stuck with me, both because of the oddness that was in the story, the unease and fear I felt as I read certain parts, but also because, I think, it perplexed me.
I wasn't sure what I'd make of it, now, and to be truthful I'm still not wholly sure! I find it difficult to place it in a single age group, too, as it doesn't feel all that suitable for MG, but I don't think it's completely YA, either, and that's kept me thinking.

One of my favourite parts about re-reading a book is when I only remmeber fragments, and so it was with this- I vividly remember the crocodile (and being terrified of it as I read late one night) on the cover, and certain parts of the story did come back to me as I read this time, though for the most part it all felt new- even the end wasn't as I understod it back then, though it was particularly memorable to me.

I find it also very hard to describe this book and how I feel about it- the one word that comes to me, straight off, is dark, which is very accurate, but my favourite scenes make me think the opposite, no matter who dire circumstances may have been during them- they're mystical and wonderful and I love them. I wish there had been more of those scenes I so loved.

Rating: Excellent.
In the end I don't think I can do any justice to I, Coriander in a review, apart from urging you to try reading it even if the synopsis (mine or any other) doesn't immediately draw you in. There is so much hidden here it would be impossible (and not at all in the spirit of things) to try and explain any of them.

4 comments:

  1. I've wanted to read this for a very long time, and I'm glad to hear it's a story that stuck with you. I have to admit that I forgot about it until I read your review, so thank you for the reminder! I will have to try to get my hands on a copy soon, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's great to hear, Sam, and I truly hope you do find a copy and read it, because I can imagine you'd really enjoy it, and it leaves you thinking. I'm so glad I was able to remind you of it!

      Delete
  2. Woah, a really dark children's book, sounds kind of amazing! I haven't heard of this book before, but for it to still have made an impact on you now, it sounds really memorable. Lovely review Romi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is that, Jeann! It's so brilliant, how differently yet also similarly I reacted upon reading it at such different ages in my life- I really enjoyed that, and the story is just so wonderful. I'd recommend you check it out! And thank you, Jeann! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x