Monday, May 26, 2014

A Feature of Pictures (and books!) No. 4



Two astonishing and slightly-quite-a-lot amazing books featured today- both are very different from the other, but both touched me very honestly and I really enjoyed them.

Title: The Giving Tree.
Author: Shel Silverstien.
Publisher: Penguin Books. Imprint: Particular Books.
Publish Date: 1964.

The Giving Tree is, or at least was in my experience, one of those books you know about but don't necessarily read for a long time. I'm so glad I finally read it for myself.
Telling an almost haunting story of the love a tree has for a little boy, this story spans what must be over a centuary. It is told simply but always with the perfect words, words that effect you and leave you thinking long after the pages have all been read. Words that make up a story so passionate and sad and lifelike that they leave one slightly breathless.

This is a book I appreciate for it's trueness to life and the way it made me- makes me- feel. I appreciate it so much.



Title: The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore.
Author: W. E. Joyce, Joe Bluhm.
Publisher: Simon and Schuster.
Publish Date: August 2012.

2014. The year of the picture books.
Strictly speaking it's not, but it might as well be because not since they were my one and only source of literature have I read so many perfectly splendid picture books in such a short about of picture books.
I had a bit of background knowledge when it came to this and the short film made from it, but still- I saw this in the bookstore and did not hesitate. My money was not the money being spent, but still- this is a book I saw and did not hesitate about.
If there was a golden picture book I'm almost certain it would be this. The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore is one of those impeccable books that you can just get so wildly excited about before, after and during the reading process.
It tells a truly magnificent story of a man swept to a whole different world, one of colour and surprises and books that need him, books that are living things.
Excited?
Thought so.

8 comments:

  1. It's true what you say about The Giving Tree. I've known about it for years - almost, it feels like, my entire life - but STILL haven't read it yet. I'm glad to hear you were able to appreciate it. And I haven't ever paid much attention to The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore before, but the cover artwork there is stunning. Thanks for sharing, Romi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you set out to read both of the really soon, Sam! I'm sure you'd appreciate both, and the stories they tell are just incredible and so, so recommendable. xx

      Delete
  2. The Fantastic Flying books is a wonderful story. The art work is what blew me away with that book. Just amazing. I wish I would've had this book when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Have you seen the short film they made? It's so wonderful, and different from the book in it's ways, so definitely worth checking out for that, too.

      Delete
  3. I remember seeing The Giving Tree in my school library when I was in second grade or so and being confused because it wasn't like a regular book :) I ended up really liking it though. Haven't heard of the Fantastic Flying books though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be interesting for you to reread and see what you made of it now, I think- it is quite unlike other picture books, though, and one of the most versatile I've ever read. It truly would fit any age group, I think, and impact each. xx

      Delete
  4. A tree in love with a boy?? Wow, The Giving Tree sounds like nothing I've ever read before. And it's been out since 1964?!! I haven't read The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, but LOVED the animated short film adaptation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, and it's astonishing and marvellous! I hope you check both out soon- and I can't agree more about the short! So wonderful!

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x