Tuesday, May 20, 2014

First Test by Tamora Pierce...


Title- First Test.
Author- Tamora Pierce.
Publish date- 2000.
Publisher- Random House.


Review time...

(A brief) Synopsis:
Keladry's dream is to become a knight, but with women only grudgingly being allowed to train to become knights it is going to be far more than difficult, though Kel will follow her dream no matter what.


What I thought:
I was highly recommended this book by the Loquacious Lauren, who, I am beginning to think, may know exactly what I like to find in a book.
I'm taken aback by how much, how quickly, too, I became involved with this story and the training of Kel, the first female to openly train for knighthood- there is so much discrimination from people all around Keladry because of her gender, and it isn't an easy beginning to following her dream at all, yet she strove to do her best with a determination I truly fell in love with, and her determination, the pains she goes through just in the name of perseverance, they are shown and told truthfully. Her journey is hard, harder than most others have been before her, and this isn't fair. She knows it, but still she fights.

Kel is, undoubtably, a characte I will go back to many a time, whose story I want others to relive. She's funny and fierce and willing, but she's also angry and hurt and certainly not impenetrable. The depths of this story, the first in a series, are great, and it wasn't until the writing of this review that I found out this is only one in a line of books set in the amazing, if dangerous, land of Tortall. There are suggestions only breached of how much more there is to this world, and it is so well built and written that I felt right at home, as if I were there every time I opened the book.

Rating: Excellent and some.
This was simply a really enjoyable, thought-provoking book. I'm so glad that Lauren got me to take an interest in and read it, and I'll certainly be coming back to read more about Keladry of Mindelan.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a story full of female empowerment which is awesome! Kel does sound like a great character. Thank you for your review!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely that, and it's just such a wonderful read! I highly recommend you have a look at it sometime, Jeann! xx

      Delete
  2. I've never read anything by Tamora, though I'd like to, and this sounds excellent! Will add to my tbr list ;)

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely would recommend it, Mands! It's such a great read, and I'm excited to read the next book in the series (I read this in January,so I think it's about time I got to that!). xx

      Delete
  3. I've wanted to read Tamora for a while now, just haven't managed to squeeze her in to my massive reading pile yet. Sounds like I would really enjoy her books, I might have to bump her up the list. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend it! This is a really fantastic read and the world, it's just incredible! I hope to read some of the other series' she's written soon so I can see what they're like too, but for now I recommend this!

      Delete
  4. This was my first Tamora Pierce book and I was surprised at how quickly I was able to get into the story too! I'm really glad you liked it, I hear her other books are just as good, my friend swears by her writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read any of her other books in the series yet? It was such a full on read, yet the plot defnitely felt like it had time to grow. I can't wait to read the next book!

      Delete
  5. I've heard only amazing things about Tamora Pierce, but I have yet to pick up one of her books. This sounds like a brilliant fantasy with a strong heroine - we definitely need more like that! I'm on a fantasy binge right now, so maybe I'll pick up this for a read? :P Thanks for the review Romi, so glad you liked this one! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is, and done so, so well! I've been searching for more books similar to this and the Throne of Glass books, and it's quite difficult, though I do have some great new suggestions recently. I definitely recommend it, Joy!

      Delete
  6. OMG ROMI DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS?!?!?!?!?!?! It means WE CAN STILL BE FRIENDS! I'm ever so glad.

    Also: PLEASE READ THE REST OF THEM COS IT ONLY GETS BETTER AND JUST WAIT TIL YOU GET TO DOM! DOM! DOM! Oh Dom, he was one of my earliest fictional husbands, and I was only like 13 when I met him.

    Honestly though, I'm so super glad that you liked this book and I hope you go on to enjoy the rest of her books too, Keladry only gets better and better and more awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sings* Though I do hope you would have kept our friendship even if I hadn't liked it or even read it, although I suppose we're even now after the whole Hunger Games thing last year.

      I'll be reading more of the books soon, I hope! Definitely another this year, and maybe the third over the summer! I'm excited! x

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x