Thursday, May 29, 2014

Graceling by Kristin Cashore.


Title- Graceling. (#1 in the Greaceling Realm series.)
Author- Kristin Cashore.
Publish date- 2008.
Publisher- Harcourt.


Review time...

(A brief) Synopsis:
Kasta has a deadly Grace- the Grace of Killing. Ever since she was a child her uncle the King has exploited her powers and left the Lady Kasta terrified of herself. Only, not too terrified to fight for the rights of others, even if they all fear her.


What I thought:
I wasn't merely taken in by this book, picked up and carried along for the duration and then gently let down- I was confronted by it. I was a part of it and I'm still reliving bits even now! There was fear and terror, humor and scenes that made me smirk and laugh, and it was all so beautiful. Wonderful. Exquisite.

I feared for the characters so much, though whenever I thought something might happen it invaribly didn't and things went on quite the other way, keeping me constantly alert and always knocking me off guard. It was a terrifying read, as such, because I had no idea what would happen and I was totally at the mercy of the plot, heart pounding and mind racing as I turned page after page.

Graceling is full of surprise and characters who are so alive it's as if they are truly breathing alongside me, and I cared for them- for their safety- an awful lot.
Kasta, the protagonist and unargubly one of my new favourite characters, is full of fire and fear and hope, and it's a surprising combination that makes for a glorious character- a glorious character who is full of wit and wonderfully sharp remarks, I may add. Kasta stands out, and she stands tall and with a multitude of strength.
The relationship she has with Po, also one of my favourite characters now, though mostly because of the conversations the two have, is so mixed and dimensional and there is almost palpable fear, because she is afraid to trust someone, because being let down and having to use her Grace to protect herself would be far, far worse than many around her could understand.
Graceling is an enlivening story.

Rating: Exquisite.
It's thought provoking and very funny, often just when you need it, and ends on a note that makes me glad there are already two more books published.

16 comments:

  1. Oooh, this makes me so curious now! I've kind of thought about this one...and then lol, never borrowed it from the library. I NEED TO. It's like one of those Big Names YA isn't it?? And I do love me a bit of fabulous fantasy. Kasta sounds like a really good character, too. Wit? I'M SO IN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear that, Cait! I know you hold a deep love for the Throne of Glass series, and this is very unique to that and just so wonderful- I probably don't like it quite as much, but it's incredible. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it! xx

      Delete
  2. To be honest, with all the hype surrounding this series, I didn't actually enjoy Graceling as much as I expected! I mean, it was still a pretty solid read, but for me, it wasn't quite the "amazing", "phenomenal", "incredible" etc etc that most people found it.

    That being said, I definitely agree about Katsa being an epically awesome lead. Witty and badass leads are the best! Po was great as well (despite the name bringing up images of a fat panda lol). Especially his gold and silver eyes ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easily understandable- it's frustrating when there is so much hype, because obviously it'll affect your opinion. Instantly it will, by dropping or raising your expectations. I'm sorry you were let down by it, though, but I'm glad you liked some aspects, like Kasta! She truly is awe-some.xx

      Delete
  3. I love the sound of your reaction to this series! I have put off starting it for so long because it'll be time consuming and because I worry if I will like it as much as most! Your review has made me want to throw caution to the wind and start it NOW!

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm thrilled to hear that, Mands, and I do hope you'll tell me all of your thoughts on the books as soon as you get to them! I'm very excited about making you want to read them! That's wonderful! xx

      Delete
  4. I loved this book so much! Katsa and Po were so great together, and I loved the world-building! I'm glad you enjoyed this one too! I wasn't as in love with the next two in the series, so it will be interesting to read your thoughts when you get to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They absolutely were- that relationship, all that it encompassed, it was so beautiful. I briefly tried Fire, but sent it back to the library because I had a lot of other things out. I'll miss Kasta not being the MC.

      Delete
  5. I really loved this book. I loved this whole series actually. Just fabulous. I think you are going to like the other two books in the series also!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear! I have heard that the second and third weren't so great, but I still want to get down and read them at some point, even if Kasta isn't the MC- I will miss her not being so forefront!

      Delete
  6. Once again our friendship has been cemented. I'm so glad you liked Graceling too. It was pretty awesome, and I love Po and his secret sexytimes tattoos. And Leck, creepy, creepy, creepy Leck. But her use of weaponry is pretty damn exciting. With the swords and the arrows and the knife and the DEATH wielding KAPOW of AWESOME.

    I have already told you how I feel about Fire, but I look forward to your thoughts on it while I peel off layers of my skin and rip out all of my hair at the mere thought of that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear it, Wren. Glad to hear it.
      Leck was close to Umbridge for me- she's still optimum in my list of worst villains, but he's close behind.
      x

      Delete
  7. I LOVED Graceling when I first read it. Then I started Fire and lost interest, repeat 3 times. I finally pushed through after almost 2 years and was really unsatisfied. Cue Bitterblue, which really did nothing to tie up the story. I've started recommending to people that they read Fire last. I'm curious as to what you would think of Fire. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's sad to hear! I'm sorry the rest of the series didn't do it for you (this sounds like me with the Matched trilogy- I would recommend reading only the first). I hope the other two books work better for me, and I do plan to read them still, even though I've heard they're a bit disappointing, because I just really want to see what happens with Kasta and Po and Bitterblue. I love them!

      Thank you! xx

      Delete
  8. Ohhhhhhh, good review! I keep seeing this book recommended, will have to get around to it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Miriam! That's really kind of you, and I definitely think you should read it soon! It's an excellent story and I would, like many others, highly recommend it! x

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x